Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to do when tap spindles aren't long enough

daniellemb1993
Just Starting Out

What to do when tap spindles aren't long enough

Hi,

Just wondering what to do when the cover plate of the tap can't go on because the spindle with the thread isn't long enough? (I may be using the wrong words sorry, hopefully the photos help!)

I thought I had to get a spindle extension thing (as in photos) but these all make the cover plate sit too far out!

Should I be using something else, or do I just need to keep searching for the right size?

Thanks!

IMG20200808112012.jpg

IMG20200808112034.jpg

IMG20200725120545.jpg

IMG20200725120554.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What to do when tap spindles aren't long enough

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @daniellemb1993. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Initially, we need to verify that you have purchased wall taps and not basin taps. This will most likely be labelled on the packaging. Wall taps have a longer spindle length as their fittings are generally recessed further into the cavity than basin fittings. If you have purchased wall taps, due to the variable nature of wall lining thicknesses, they aren't always a direct swap over.

A couple of options worth trying would be a Kinetic 28mm Ceramic Disc Spindle Extender 2 Pack, which extends the whole spindle further out or a Kinetic 15mm PVC Spindle Bonnet Extender 2 Pack. The PVC bonnet extenders are the same design as what you have already tried, but they can be joined together and also cut down to size with a hacksaw. 

The copper extenders can also be cut down to size but that will obviously be more work than if you used the PVC version.

Let me mention the very knowledgable @redracer01 as he's amazing with difficult plumbing questions and might have something additional to add to the conversation.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @daniellemb1993 

Excellent idea on the brass extenders how ever they are never at right height and non adjustable. I suggest plastic bonnet extenders as suggested by @MitchellMc they are more viable and much more user friendly and can be trimmed down using a hack saw. See picture below, simply screw into existing fittings and adjust accordingly with saw. Yo could also use small dabs of silicone at the back if it prooves to be too troubling, but you would need to let it dry overnight. Good luck and stay safe.

Cheers,

Red

Screenshot_2020-08-14 Kinetic 15mm PVC Spindle Bonnet Extender - 2 Pack.png 

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Hi @daniellemb1993,

It's a common problem in renovations where the finished surface is further from the wall than the original.

Ceramic disc taps only have a 28mm extender which can often be too much.

Traditional taps with washers have 15mm or 25mm  extenders.

Depending on your taps, using the pvc bonnet extension recommended by @redracer01 may work.

From your photos it looks like you have just enough spindle length to get your tap handle back on.

Sometimes I have had to use traditional washer taps with a 15mm extender.

The pvc bonnet option is cheap to try.

Once screwed into the bonnet you may need to trim with a hacksaw to be flush.

This worked in my kitchen where only 12mm of tap thread was showing and the spindle is quite long.

Trimmed flush extenderTrimmed flush extender12mm exposed thread12mm exposed thread

Hi could you help me out I’m having the same problem. So 15mm in the product description is the thread size or is that the length it will be extended by. 

my understanding of 15,20,25,28mm is that these are all different size fittings and threads not lengths of extenders. Am I correct?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @MarioP

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about spindle extenders.

The Kinetic 15mm PVC Spindle Bonnet Extender is designed to fit onto standard spindles. The good thing about them is that they're made out of plastic and can be cut down using a hack saw. The heights you're referring to are correct, but at the moment only 25mm and 28mm adapters are available. I recommend using the Spindle Bonnet Extender as you can adjust them to the exact height that you need. After cutting it with a hack saw, you can use sandpaper to clean the edges.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your spindle and bonnet setup? This will give our members a better idea of your situation. We can then provide you with recommendations on how to fix it.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your bonnet cover attached and your tapware looking great.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

I have a similar issue as described above - the seat is recessed 47mm into the wall and my new tap requires a range of 0-13mm recess.  Is the bonnet extender mentioned above the right solution here?

IMG_3351.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @hleight 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your ceramic tap spindle.

I've placed an image below that will explain what you need do to re-use the spindle extender attached to your former tap. However, if it is too difficult to split apart, I suggest using the Kinetic 28mm Ceramic Disc Spindle Extender - 2 Pack. To make sure that it is the same size and length, I recommend bringing your spindle to the store and comparing it with the part I suggested.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks heaps, @EricL - that worked a treat.  I had already tried to dismantle the old tap but didn't want to try too hard in case something broke and I couldn't put it back in place.  You gave me the confidence to do that.  Uncrewing the spindle from the extender was the difficult part - the bonnet was not so difficult.  Now my taps fit perfectly!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @hleight 

It's good to hear that you've managed to repair your tap spindles. If you have any other projects lined up, please don't hesitate to share them. 

We look forward to seeing your next project. 

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects