Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to fill floor foundation with?

JumBuck
Growing in Experience

What to fill floor foundation with?

94B46294-C009-462E-87CC-06D29C9127E4.jpeg

Hi,

I have removed a wall and taken an old cupboard out of the kitchen. Now I’m asking if anyone can advise me of the best way and what materials to use to fill this foundation area to the level of the floor tiles. There will be new cupboards going in so it just needs to be level.  The floorboards are 4cm below the level of the tiles. 

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What to fill floor foundation with?

Hello @JumBuck

Thank you for sharing your question about what to use to fill the gap on your floor.

Ideally, I would remove the timber and fill it up with Australian Builders 20kg Concrete Mix. However, waiting for the mix to dry will take at least a week. I suggest using 1220 x 810 x 4mm Marine A Grade Plywood cut into shape instead. Please make sure to fill the uneven areas with wood scraps to prevent having unsupported areas beneath the ply. Screw the ply in place and you should have a nice flat surface.

Since you are only putting cabinets on top of the area, there would be no need for heavy-duty support or aesthetics. If you wish to pre-seal the area to prevent vermin from coming in through the cracks, I suggest putting some Parfix 340g Triple Expanding Foam Filler into the gaps of the floor before putting the ply on top. Any excess foam filler can be cut using a Stanley knife.

Let me tag our experienced members @Brad and @JDE for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects