Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why are the tap sets spindle parts different?

Yolzy
Finding My Feet

Why are the tap sets spindle parts different?

I had the Estilo chrome tap and spout set installed 2 years ago, and it has just started to drip at the tap. I went to  Bunnings but it said there was only 1 in stock which means it’s more like on display. So I paid for a more expensive set Shaw and Mason chrome basin tap set. Everything went well until I opened the tap but I couldn’t close it! My friend decided to fix the issue by using the old (Estilo) part that needs a spanner (forget what it’s called!) long metal rod the has the washer on it. He had new washers in his toolbox that were part of a kit he had as we couldn’t use the  Shaw and Mason spindle that came with the kit, but we used the taps. It worked, the tap was able to open and close the water running but now we have to turn the tap full circle to open and close it! Why didn’t the Shaw and Mason tap set work? Why did the spindle did look different to the Estilo spindle? 

Shaw and Mason product is in the photo that says “spindle” is what was in the new tap kit I bought , also the spindle laying on side of the basin in the other photo IMG_3383.jpegIMG_3372.pngimage.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: why are the “tap sets “ spindle parts different ?

Hi @Yolzy,

When you say, "I opened the tap, but I couldn’t close it", do you mean you couldn't physically turn it back in the opposite direction or that when you did, it didn't cut the water off? 

It's not really possible to determine why this issue occurred. It could be an installation error or a fault with the product. The first time I ever installed ceramic spindles I could neither turn the water on or off, it just flowed.

In order to get two matching taps with either the 1/4 or 1/2 turn instead of the full, you might like to return the tap set and swap it for another one.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell

i mean the water wouldn’t stop flowing! It was like the washer wasn’t doing anything. Everything was installed with no problem..JUST the taps wouldn’t turn the water off ..both hot and cold kept flowing. I had to turn water mains off. I can’t return it, as you can see in the photos I used the taps just not the spindles. I HAD to I was desperate..they didn’t have the taps I had (that started to leak and needed replacement..plus I wanted everything new, not just the washers)

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Yolzy 

One possible reason that the water kept flowing was because the spindle was not fully seated to the tap seat. The ceramic spindle you have is composed of two parts. the spindle body and the locking shroud. The shroud unscrews from the spindle body, and this is then screwed into the tap body. When you reach the bottom of the tap the spindle will stop. make sure that the spindle is screwed on firmly before putting the locking shroud.

There should be some brass thread left at the top, enough for the locking shroud to screw onto. I've placed an image below to give you an idea of how the shroud is fitted to the spindle body.

If you are still having issues, I recommend engaging the services of a registered plumber. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.   

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects