Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Would you prefer a large shower or a double vanity?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Would you prefer a large shower or a double vanity?

Renovation work always demands compromise. You always need to work within a budget and space is always limited.

Before starting work on the renovation of a typical 1980s suburban Australian home, the Make It Happen team asked Australians what they would prefer in an ensuite: a double vanity or a large shower. 

Which would you prefer?

The original house plan for the Make It Happen home can be found below so you can see what the team started with. You'll be able to see how the team transformed the home when the series starts on March 2. In the meantime, check out the series trailer.  

Jason

HouseFloorplan.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Renowayoflife
Becoming a Leader

Re: Would you prefer a large shower or a double vanity?

compromise, isn't that a funny thing @Jason it can be so hard to make those decisions as both are such a nice feature in an ensuite. If there were no options to move walls around then I would choose the larger shower. however if you let me play with the floorplan I think I would steal a little from the laundry and the master to reconfigure the bathroom and wardrobe so you could have both, without compromising on your space.

Can't wait to see what the team decide.

Claire 

TT

IG 

Blog

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Jason,

To be honest, given the choice, the large shower would my choice.

The place I own has a separate shower, toilet and bathroom, the shower room is so small you knock your elbows on the wall when you dry your body with a towel.

Remedying this will be expensive, with the hot water cylinder behind one wall on the left side and a bath on the other side.

As much as I really want to start tearing walls out, I really cannot justify the cost in doing this.

Cheers,

Mike T.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

I will always choose a larger shower over double sinks. Maybe its because I am tall, but if the shower is too small I am just like @MikeTNZ where my limbs bump into everything and become very annoyed. Also, looking at the existing plans, I would really hate having to open the shower door towards me, so the shower design would be one of the first things I would change if I owned this home. 

Katie

homeinmelbourne
Becoming a Leader

I think I would prefer a larger shower. I agree with @KatieC, bumping elbows into the walls and glass can be frustrating and having a larger shower instantly gives a bathroom a grander feel. A larger shower (particularly one that is situated wall to wall) could also allow for a beautiful built-in shelf ledge.

I can’t wait to watch the series and see what the team have created! 😊

Al

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @KatieC,

When you say you don't like the door opening toward you, is that upon entering or exiting the shower area?

Mine swings out from the shower enclosure itself and I've never really had an issue with it.

However, this house was built in 1965, it seriously needs updating, I tore the kitchen out when I first bought the place, the 3 separate rooms that hold the toilet, shower and the bath + vanity have been shoe-horned into the allowable space.

If I bought a new place or renovated what I have, I would like one of them nice, contoured, Terracote floors in the shower, not the slippery stainless steel trays that you have to put a plastic mat with the suction cups on that eventually fill up with mould because they never dry between showers.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Not too much debate about this one! In the official poll, 69% of respondents said they would prefer a large shower over a double vanity. I'm certainly with them - there's nothing like a great shower!

Thanks for all your responses. Today's question is about our furry friends: Would you like a dedicated place for pets inside your home?

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects