I started by sanding the entire buffet inside and out. I used my cordless Ryobi for the majority of it and then did the corners and grooves by hand.
After sanding I gave it a really good wipe down to remove all the sanding dust (it was everywhere!) to prep it for painting.
I used a Cabot's exterior water-based paint that I had tinted in Lexicon. The reason I chose this paint is because it is self-priming and really great value for money. I applied three coats, allowing a few hours in-between coats.
Once the paint was dry I used a scissors blade to lightly distress it along some of the corners and edges to give it a bit of character. I then sealed it all with two coats of Cabot's water-based varnish in a satin finish.
We found beautiful handles at a local vintage store and she was done.