I had a dodgy old chain bar I was happy to experiment with, so I whipped up a milling jag from some salvaged square stock. No welds for speed.
It planes up ok, although I obviously need to learn more about grain direction, and sealing the ends to prevent checking.
I added some numbers jigsawed and chiseled out of scrap timber, coated with poly and voila, people can find our house.
Then I got carried away and made a Christmas present for my sister with an old quarter inch mortising chisel, and made some test pieces from firewood. I experimented a bit with finishes – stain for the small one, stain and varnish for the big one.
More house number projects
Workshop member Cat87 created this house number sign using artificial grass and it stands out well from the street.