I wanted to try and use only bits and pieces that I already had at home for this dollhouse renovation so I had to get creative. The dollhouse was badly scratched and had a few rips on it from the kids putting stickers all over it and then pulling them off.
I lightly sanded the whole house and applied two coats of Zinsser Smart Prime Undercoat. I let the primer set for a week before painting over it as I wanted it to fully cure.
I made a washer/dryer and a shelf using wooden blocks from the toy room. I cut spare fabric to size and glued it down to the old floor.
For the roof, I hand-painted tiles by mixing a few acrylic craft paints to get the colour I was after. I then used a clear coat of varnish to seal it all.
The kids were pretty stoked with the end result and I managed to get the whole thing done without having to leave the house for any supplies. The joy of being a D.I.Y. addict is that I’m fully stocked up.
Before and after
More project inspiration
Jess built this dollhouse from scratch and it features impressive furnishings, battery-operated lighting and a replica dollhouse inside.