My babies have grown so I decided to upcycle their old change table with drawers into a centre piece. I recycled old venetian wooden blinds to create the herringbone pattern.
I cut off the top of the change table leaving just the cabinet. I sanded the top to blend in my cut marks. I sanded the drawers and under the slats to get a good bond when I applied the glue.
I cut the slats approximately 150mm and marked a centre line on each drawer. I glued the cut slats in a herringbone pattern. I placed a board on top with weights to get a good bond.
Once the glue dried, I flush cut the overhang and sanded it flush to the original drawers. I left some of the original stain on the slats as I wanted more of a rustic look.
I used ESP on the frame of the draws rather than sanding the entire thing. I sprayed the frame with my Wagner spray gun with a total of three coats. I sanded after the second coat with very fine sandpaper. Some of the spray splattered a little too thick with the gun, so I evened out the paint to look very smooth. Usually I wouldn’t sand unless there was obvious brush marks I didn’t want.
The handles were drilled in and now the kids aren’t getting their drawers back.