Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Alternative to epoxy and paving paint for garage concrete floor?

TimofeyK
Getting Established

Alternative to epoxy and paving paint for garage concrete floor?

The floor in my underground basement garage is bare concrete, unsealed. Not polished but mostly smooth. It's about 14 years old and is covered with rust marks, oil stains and large tyre residue stains. I want to colour it darker to cover all stains and make look better and easier to keep clean

I see that most of recommendations are for either epoxy coating or paving paint but there are so many complains that these surface coatings peel easily under hot tyres. I will give the floor a reasonable cleaning with degreaser but don't expect to be able to remove all the residue. I am afraid that the spots where tyres were sitting for 14 years will have the weakest adhesion and because hot tyres will keep sitting in the same exact spots the paint will peel there very quickly

Is there an alternative to surface paint? I saw some deeply penetrating sealers can be tinted to a darker colour. Would that work better for an old garage floor? 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/crommelin-8l-clear-satin-diamondcoat-tintable-sealer_p1560269

https://www.bunnings.com.au/crommelin-1l-basalt-diamondcoat-tint_p1560422

IMG_1880.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Alternative to epoxy and paving paint for garage concrete floor?

Hello @TimofeyK 

I've just been in contact with the Crommelin info desk, and they suggest washing your floor with sugar soap and a stiff bristle brush. They don't advise doing an acid wash as the acid tends to stay in the pores of the concrete. Once the floor has been thoroughly washed make sure that it is totally dry before you begin applying the sealer.

Please note that the Crommelin 8L Clear Satin DiamondCoat Tintable Sealer and the Crommelin 1L Basalt DiamondCoat Tint work together as a set. It is a solvent based sealer and will penetrate the surface of your concrete floor. It's also rated for hot tire pickup and should be able to resist the stress the tires put on it.

Here is a fantastic example of an epoxy painted floor - How to apply epoxy to a garage floor by @prettyliving. The techniques used are applicable to your garage floor repainting project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TimofeyK
Getting Established

Re: Alternative to epoxy and paving paint for garage concrete floor?

Thank you @EricL 

I’ll give it a try with sugar soap. The biggest challenge for good cleaning is that my garage has very limited drainage and two gyprock walls so I can’t use pressure cleaner

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects