Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Alternative to fixing shelf to garage wall?

heuristic
Getting Established

Alternative to fixing shelf to garage wall?

I bought a self-standing garage shelf and the manual highly recommends fixing it to the wall using provided screws, for various reasons I can't do that, so I wonder is there any alternatives to prevent the shelf from falling without sticky a screw onto the wall?

I thought about using a thread and fix both ends on the wall with some brick glue and let the thread go through the shelf, not sure if this is a viable option.

Thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Alternative to fixing shelf to garage wall?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @heuristic. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about fixing a storage shelf unit to a wall.

It's important that you follow the guidelines provided by the manufacturer, or if you deviate from them, ensure that the shelving is adequately fixed in place. Due to the design of free-standing shelving units, they pose a real safety risk if they topple forward, which can result in injury to an adult and serious injury or even death to a child. It's not worth putting yourself or others at risk.

I'm keen to hear more about the issues surrounding screwing directly into your wall. Perhaps you might like to post some images, so our helpful members can better understand what you're working with. Let me know if you need a hand uploading images.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects