Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Applying epoxy on shed concrete floor

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Applying epoxy on shed concrete floor

20230107_140509.jpg

I started out around a month ago the transformation taking my 3 car shed for which I used to restore cars in and putting it through the transformation  to become a man shed that is setup for my kids as well with aim for a projector, table tennis, TV, PA system for karaoke nights and guitar nights, my already built Kombi bar that doubles as a DJ Booth.

So first off I had to get rid of the remaining VWs, the excess of tools that were required for restoration that I won't need, strip everything out and loads to the tip.

I moved the rest of my gear to my other sheds then I began.

With my kids we scraped up some stick down vinyl planks I put down years ago, I can tell you and this is the second time I have removed this stuff if you EVER plan of taking it up then NEVER put it down to start with the glue is horrible, it took 2Lt of glue remover, Acid wash and a floor grinder to remove it.

20221227_150348.jpg

20221229_155509.jpg

I attacked all the high points of dropped car bog and blobs of paint with a paint strip grinding disc and the  was hopeful that a good acid wash would get the rest but no such luck it just bubbled and I didn't want to take the chance of reaction so I hired a concrete grinder.

20230104_102909.jpg

Now I didn't hire the Bunnings concrete grinder because Coats Hire is nowhere near me and that is where pickup is, I hired one through another company and on advice they gave me one around the same size, after 4hrs and barely scratching the surface they realised that I required the one double the size weighing in at 120kg which ripped through it in 4hrs. So if you have a surface looking like mine you need the Satellite 120kg grinder not the baby one.

20230105_153509.jpg

I hit the with the paint stripping disc and that worked fine .

I didn't bother acid washing again as the surface was now very porous.

20230107_120237.jpg

I bought 2 x Slate Grey flake epoxy kits from Bunnings 

Screenshot_20230107_153917_Bunnings.jpg

 The instructions are easily followed and the instructions video good, I had also watched some other YouTube vids from floor contractors and got some tips from a fellow guy at work that used to do these floors on how not to roll just in straight lines but mix up straight, diagonal and so on.

I mixed up the first batched and was stressing the 2 kits would not be enough but I was brushing on the edges in a good coverage and rolling on a good coverage.

I had my lovely wife throwing the flake and this is important to have that second hand to do that, it is also important to always cut back over your wet edges so don't leave them to long before coming back to that section.

For coverage I ended up only using paint from one kit, no idea how it went on well and I was careful that there was no see through sections, I could have done another coat but the flake was already on. 

We did use the flake from both kits though.

Bonus for us the Garage get painted next just need some flake.

I'm pretty happy with this kit from Bunnings but I'm going to say its all in the preparation like anything, take the time or take no short cuts it will be worth it.

20230107_140509.jpg

Looking forward to updating you all once I start fitting the Man Cave out next

And the already built Kombi Bar I did some time ago

IMG_20211023_162626_738.jpg

RenoRach1
Making a Splash

Re: Overhauling 8x9m Concrete Floor to apply epoxy flake

Looks so amazing!  I'm about to start my media/games/ bar area so your post was excellently-timed.  Thank you for the great advice and congratulations on a fantastic job on a great space.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Overhauling 8x9m Concrete Floor to apply epoxy flake

What an amazing transformation, @CSParnell! It looks like you achieved an excellent result and I'm sure you are pleased with your efforts. 

For our members looking to complete a similar rejuvenation of their garage floor, I'd recommend checking out this informative step-by-step guide: How to apply epoxy to a garage floor.

Many thanks for sharing, and I look forward to the fit-out.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: Applying epoxy on shed concrete floor

Hi @CSParnell,

That looks really good, does this epoxy come in other colours?

One other thing, could you use something like fine sand to give the floor a wee bit of an abrasive surface for slip protection?

I mean you'd have to put it on pretty sparingly, but could that be a thing?

Cheers,

Mike T.

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hey @MikeTNZ yep there are different colours and flake colours, yes there is also grip beads you can mix in with the paint and honestly I bought some but forgot to mix it in but the flake gives enough grip.

That is 2 kits worth of flake but if you want to really coat it I would suggest sourcing a box of 10kg plus of flake from somewhere like ebay so you can really throw it on thick. This was around 1kg of flake.

I will be buying a big box of flake for the garage when I do it.

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @CSParnell,

Thanks mate, that was what I wanted to know!

This finish really looks the goods.

BTW, I really love that VW bar, that looks pretty darned awesome.

Cheers,

Mike T.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @CSParnell

Thanks for sharing that floor painting project. It looks fantastic, I can't wait to see what it will look like once you've put all your gear inside. 

Eric

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

20230122_161448.jpg

Looks fantastic @CSParnell. What a great space. 

Jason

Amazing results @CSParnell! I'm sure you're thrilled with how this project has turned out.

Planning on any automated wizardry for the space?

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects