Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best footing for garden shed floor?

Apoorv_S
Having an Impact

Best footing for garden shed floor?

A7FB3CF2-4EB3-4C5A-9143-BE341C1F4D8E.jpeg

E4B0B46F-C751-4FAF-977B-B16BCE99A639.jpeg

1B5AF456-6520-4A44-BAFB-C5D4B8519F4A.jpeg

Hi all. Thanks for this lovely forum. I was planning to install an Absco shed in our side yard. My question was which flooring is the best. 1- concrete slab ( however it’s right next to the house wall and some previous concreting work on the opposite side. See photos. Do I need to do anything special to lay the concrete here)  as per my research we need some spacers next to the concrete edges. Or 2 - Matrix shed panel ( the hard plastic flooring option for sheds) 

the space is 2 mt x 1 mt. The shed I am planning is 1.52mt x0.78 mt. The current floor looks like is of uneven concrete base for some part and just soil the rest. 

thanks for your help guys. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: question— garden shed floor.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Apoorv_S. It's wonderful that you've joined us, and many thanks for your questions.

Absco sheds are designed to be bolted down to a concrete slab. Since your area is boarded by concrete and a wall on three sides, you would use expansion joints on those areas. Bear in mind that you don't want to cover those weeper holes in the brickwork. The fourth open side will need some formwork built to retain the concrete while it sets.

It would be a great idea to lay some GRUNT 2m x 5m Black 200um Medium Impact Pro Builder's Film Handy Roll under the new slab to prevent moisture from rising through it and entering your shed. It also wouldn't hurt to add reinforcement mesh in the slab to help prevent it from cracking.

You should find these step-by-step guides useful:

Matrix shed panels would be a great product to use as flooring within the shed. However, they do not allow you to secure the shed to them.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: question— garden shed floor.

Thanks @MitchellMc  for your detailed reply. Thanks for pointing out the weepers. I will plan for the concrete then. Will keep you guys posted. 

Apoorv_S
Having an Impact

Re: Best footing for garden shed floor?

BAE16E62-A05A-43A0-B112-69895BD4F809.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

C649AAA5-1869-447C-B92E-1913ECE1F99E.jpeg

@MitchellMc thanks for your help. 

It’s been some time coming but I went well with laying the slab. You live and learn. Now just time to get the shed and invite a friend to build it with me when the lock down ends.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best footing for garden shed floor?

That's sensational to hear, @Apoorv_S and what a cracker of a slab that is! It looks like you've done an amazing job, and it will be a perfect foundation for your future shed. You'll have to give us an update on the finished product once all this business ends.

Many thanks for bringing us up to speed.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects