Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best materials for DIY fish tank lid

fishnovice
Finding My Feet

Best materials for DIY fish tank lid

Hello! I am looking for advice about what materials would be best for my DIY aquarium lid. I have a rimless glass tank that didn't come with a lid and also doesn't have a lip. I would just like a simple lid that I can lift on and off, I don't need it to be hinged or sliding.

I don't have the materials/funds to cut a sheet of glass so I am thinking of using a clear piece of Suntuf Handisheet (https://www.bunnings.com.au/suntuf-600-x-1200-x-3mm-clear-pvc-handisheet_p1010176). Would anyone know if this warps with humidity/moisture? It will be covering a 35L fish tank that will have the water heated between 26-28 degrees at all times. If so, is there another material you would recommend? 

My second question is, is there anything that I can order from Bunnings that is similar to these universal lid clips? I am having trouble sourcing them over lockdown and would preferably like to buy from within Australia. I will attach some images of some online examples.

Thanks so mucScreen Shot 2021-08-16 at 3.45.02 pm.pngScreen Shot 2021-08-16 at 3.36.58 pm.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best materials for DIY fish tank lid

Hello @fishnovice

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about the best materials for a D.I.Y. fish tank lid.

I totally agree with your choice of using the Suntuf 600 x 1200 x 3mm Clear PVC Handisheet as a cover for your aquarium. It is versatile and can be cut to the size that you need. I suggest using Perma Child Safety Corner Protectors - 8 Pack as an alternative to the lid clips. You can use Selleys 260g All Clear Multipurpose Sealant to attach the corner protectors to the PVC Sheet. You can cut the corner protectors in the middle so that you can put some support in the center edge of the PVC Sheet.

Once the silicone has cured, the corner protectors will hold the PVC panel in place. This sounds like a fantastic project. I'm sure our members would be keen to see the cover once you've built it.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much for your advice, Eric! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.

The child safety corner projectors sound like a great option and definitely within my skill range, thank you.

Would I be able to cut through the Suntuf PVC Handisheet with a Stanley knife or would I need something a little more heavy-duty?

Thanks again 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @fishnovice

Using a Stanley Knife with a solid steel body is recommended so that there will be no flexing while drawing the blade. I suggest watching a few how-to-videos to get an idea of how to cut the PVC Sheet. I recommend taking your time and not rushing the cut. Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your aquarium cover built.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
pstq
Having an Impact

@fishnovice 

I just cut some narrow strips of the same stuff I used for the lid, and glued it with silicon around the inside, a few mm below the top. I think it was acrylic, but the PVC might be similar. I used a hacksaw. It's a fairly permanent solution. I didn't know about those eBay cover clips. They look great, might be worth the wait if you have to order from OS.

The corner protectors might work, but if they're not recessed the lid might be able to fall in if it's bumped. You might also need something halfway along, as the PVC might be a bit bendy.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects