Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best method for attaching a Pen Mandrel to an RWL 350 G Ryobi 970 lathe?

CaptainKokomo
Finding My Feet

Best method for attaching a Pen Mandrel to an RWL 350 G Ryobi 970 lathe?

Hello,
I bought the lathe off a friend and quickly got hooked on turning.
I am now starting to do pen turning and have discovered that the best way to do that is to use a mandrel with a morse taper. 
Since this lathe doesn't have the option of the morse taper. Is there an adapter or a different type of mandrel that will fit this particular lathe? I'm not certain of the thread on the drive shaft. I believe its M16 80... or MT2 or something. I am still working all this out.
Is there any solutions to my conundrum? or do I just buy a cheap mini lathe?

thank you kindly
Jon

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is the best method for attaching a Pen Mandrel to an RWL 350 G Ryobi 970 lathe?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @CaptainKokomo. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about woodturning.

Let me mention some of our experienced members, @robchin, @r23on and @woodenwookie, who might have some insight into the appropriate mandrel that would suit the Ryobi unit.

I think the answer here is going to come from the exact size of the thread on the drive shaft. Are you about to take a picture of one of the thread bits with a tape measure or ruler along the side so we can try to work out the size? Once that's established, we'll be able to tell what sort of availability there is for aftermarket parts. I've already had a look through the manual for that machine, and it doesn't seem to list it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

Re: What is the best method for attaching a Pen Mandrel to an RWL 350 G Ryobi 970 lathe?

Hi first up this machine does not have a No 2 morse tapper in the spindle so a pen mandrel will not fit. The machine is the basic of basic with limitations. you would need to up grade to a machine with a No 2 morse tapper with variable speed controls. Use this machine to develop your skills with the tools and wood selections.

Hope this helps

Thank you @r23on, you're pretty much confirming my suspicions. It doesn't have the morse taper spindle. It is literally just a threaded spindle. I believe its an MT2 spindle maybe m16 80 or something similar from my research. I don't have access to the machine to measure it at the moment but I might just leave it for bigger basic stock. I am better off spending the money either a pen turning mini lathe or saving my money for an upgraded lathe (after I buy my youcarve cnc machine). 
I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Thank you kindly 
Jon 

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Re: Best method for attaching a Pen Mandrel to an RWL 350 G Ryobi 970 lathe?

You will find all the wood turning lathes are No2 Morse  as it is a standard 

regards

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Hi @CaptainKokomo 

Great to see you joining the turning fraternity. It will bring you hours of joy and frustration and you will make a lot of sawdust till you get good at it.

As others have already commented you will have some problems with this.

The lathe you have is good solid lathe but does have some limitations as you have worked out already. You should be able to contact Ryobi and ask them for a manual for that lathe - they aren't currently available but they were not too long ago. The manual should give you the spec for the threads on the lathe. From memory it comes with a face plate and a drive centre that go onto that thread.

But most lathes come with a 'head stock' which has a hole in it which your mandrel will slide into - the Ryobi one from memory does not. 

From memory at the other end of the bed - the tail stock is not changeable either.  

You can turn pens without mandrels but it is very hard work and not for beginners. 

Good luck. 

Thanks mate, yeah it's a good lathe to cut my teeth on but it's allso very frustrating. I have managed a handful of decent pens so far. Broken more than I finished though. 

Main issue I have with the lathe is that it can't accommodate small size blanks as the tail stock and tool rest handles get in each others way. 

I dont know that its worth going through all the rigmarole of adapters and custom made work arounds. 

Like I mentioned, I will probably buy a decent mini lathe while I save for a variable speed morse taper capable one.

I may ask more stupid questions in future. My woodworking career seems to be growing quickly with orders coming in.

Thanks Everyone.

No stupid questions here in Workshop I reckon.

If you don't mind - one additional comment - don't settle for a mini-lathe you'll regret it later. They are great to have but if your only going to buy one additional - be patient and get a full-sized one. You won't regret it. They come up regularly 2nd-hand on marketplace/auction type sites. Be patient and look for ones that have chucks and attachments. You'll be glad you did. 

r23on
Amassing an Audience

I have to agree with robchin

Save your money until you can  afford a full size machine, having said that a small machine comes real handy for small work. Join a men’s shed or wood turning group to get the skills in the mean time. I started with a Nova - mini lath cost me about $900.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects