Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Brake drum potbelly heater

doilygrunge
Getting Established

Brake drum potbelly heater

G’day just thought I’d share the how to I wrote for making a Brake Drum Potbelly Heater.

I’d also love to hear any ideas or see pictures of other heaters people have made! 

https://www.instructables.com/id/Brake-Drum-Potbelly-Heater/

A128BE69-6C9F-450E-A306-E39DFC8CD165.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Brake drum potbelly heater

Many thanks for sharing this project with the Workshop community @doilygrunge.

Now I'm back from holidays, I also wanted to extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. We're really pleased to have you join us and look forward to seeing more of your projects and reading all about your plans. Feel free to post whenever you have anything to share or need a hand. 

And please let me know if you have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you or help you to get the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
rscrocker
Finding My Feet

i@doilygrunge wrote:

G’day just thought I’d share the how to I wrote for making a Brake Drum Potbelly Heater.

I’d also love to hear any ideas or see pictures of other heaters people have made! 

https://www.instructables.com/id/Brake-Drum-Potbelly-Heater/

A128BE69-6C9F-450E-A306-E39DFC8CD165.jpeg

the start of my pot belly heater, i also want to weld legs on my steel frame instead of bricks.the start of my pot belly heater, i also want to weld legs on my steel frame instead of bricks.

my ash tray catchermy ash tray catcher

exhaust pipe for chimneyexhaust pipe for chimney

how long my exhaust pipe ishow long my exhaust pipe is

handles i want to weld on or drill holes and weld them in place for easy movinghandles i want to weld on or drill holes and weld them in place for easy moving

my mini one i also want to make, with handles and legsmy mini one i also want to make, with handles and legs

up and running just how it sits in the picturesup and running just how it sits in the pictures

i would like to put a pipe on the bottom drum about 3/4 up it for air intake as i found that the ash and coles cloges up at the bottom and even with all the gaps i have at the bottom for air intake it still sufficates the 🔥. and would like any other ideas or advice thanks heaps 

rscrocker
Finding My Feet

@doilygrunge 

What do you think? Would like any good advice and helpful tips. 

@rscrocker 

Extra pipe for air intake is a good idea maybe with some sort of valve so you can have a bit of control over the heat too if you wanted? Looks good, if your going to have a lid on it I wouldn’t use exhaust pipe as a flue I like the idea but I think it’s too small. A mate of mine made a potbelly and used 3” pipe and he struggled getting heat out of it. I think 4” is a good size without the need for a damper, the one I’ve made had 6-1/2” with a damper to control the flow.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects