Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I paint these floor tiles?

Hmccosker
Just Starting Out

Can I paint these floor tiles?

We have recently bought a fixer upper and before we move our things into the garage I was hoping to paint the whole thing. My question is what paint is best for these floor tiles? They are old and in OK condition and have a slight shine so are not completely porous like concrete. Any advice would be great. 

IMG_20220225_155024.jpg

IMG_20220225_155026.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can I paint these floor tiles?

Hello @Hmccosker

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about painting tiles in the garage.

Yes, you can paint over tiles. However, there are a few things to consider when painting it. If you use the Dulux 1L Renovation Range Floors Satin Deep it would only be good for walking over. It's not rated for rough use, you can't drag things over it and you can't park your car over it.

What about using White Knight Ultra Pave Heavy Duty Medium Grey Concrete And Paving Paint this paint is only rated for use on concrete and pavers. You would need to remove all the gloss finish on all the tiles in order to use this product. The advantage of this product is that you can park your car over it as it resists hot tire pickup. But you would still need to be careful as dragging heavy items over it will scratch the surface.

If you're using your garage as your workshop keep in mind that rough use will eventually damage your painted floor. A more permanent solution would be to remove the tiles and level it with cement. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects