Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you adapt aluminium welding fire spools to fit Full Boar welder?

greged
Just Starting Out

Can you adapt aluminium welding fire spools to fit Full Boar welder?

Is there a way to adapt a spool of aluminium welding wire to fit my Full Boar multi process welder since the spools of aluminium welding wire sold by Bunnings have a small arbor that appears to be designed for a spool gun?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Full Boar Welder

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @greged. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about welding wire.

I've spoken to Fullboar/Bossweld, and they believe the Bossweld 0.9mm 0.5kg Aluminium 5356 MIG Wire has the same arbour size as the 1kg rolls that your machine is designed for. What size roll were you last running? The 5kg rolls have a larger arbour, so if you were running one of those, both the 1kg and 0.5 kg won't fit it. The spindle/shank on the machine needs to be pulled off and flipped around to accommodate the smaller rolls.

Let me know how you go doing that. If, in fact, once the spindle is flipped around to the smallest size, the roll still doesn't fit, this might be a case of needing to order the 2kg aluminium roll from Bossweld.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell. The machine has a large arbor but since I am a complete newcomer to welding I simply assumed that I could buy some aluminium wire off the shelf at Bunnings but when I got home to fit the reel, of course it won’t fit. I have managed to get a larger sized spool (2kg) that fits and have done a couple of practice welds that predictably look awful but I will play around with the settings and hopefully make some progress. I am surprised that Bunnings don’t stock aluminium wire to suit the welders they sell and also that the disposable argon gas cylinder they sell doesn’t have a fitting to suit the regulator that comes with the welder. Apparently there was an adapter that was sold sometime in the pastIMG_0186.jpegIMG_0185.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @greged 

It's great to hear that you got your welder going. Have you got any projects lined up? If you do, please make sure to post an update. I'm sure our members would be keen to see what you'll be putting together with your welder.

In regards to the adapter and the aluminium spool, it's possible that these items need to be ordered at the special orders desk. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects