Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you clad a carport?

John-B
Finding My Feet

Can you clad a carport?

Hi guys, my first post. I have just moved into a new house in Perth, WA. I have a carport with roller door but one side of carport is open. Is it legal to frame and clad to make a wall. If so any ideas on what type of timber, plywood and cladding to use.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: cladding a carport

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @John-B. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about framing in a carport.

Your best source of information on the regulations regarding your carport would be your local council. You might find they only approved the structure due to the open wall nature.

Regarding the materials you'll need to use, could we trouble you for some images of the carport, so our members better understand what you are working with?

You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to build a stud wall. Although this is featuring an internal wall, the method will be similar. However, you'll want to use H3 treated timber if it is going to be exposed to the elements. We have a fantastic range of fibre cement cladding to choose from, and if you let us know what style you'll choose, we can advise on how to install it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell, I’m away at work at the moment for two weeks and just considering my options. As a complete beginner I will definitely update you with my intentions. Thank you so much for the information.

pstq
Having an Impact

@John-B 

You should probably check with council. I did it once, and had to get a town planning permit and a building permit, but that might have been because It was under a block of flats, so the "roof" was the concrete floor of my flat above it, and the supports were holding up the whole building. I also had to get the permission of all the other owners and tenants. It was hell, but it was well worth it.

If you just want a little bit of privacy and weatherproofing, an awning might be enough. Probably don't need a permit for that?

Many carports aren't very wide, so make sure you'll be able to get in and out of the car when the wall is built.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects