Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Carport concrete

krishna
Growing in Experience

Carport concrete

Hi All,

This is my first post here so please excuse me if any mistakes.

I am planning to make a carport for my second car. It is not going to be any roof so no approval required from council (confirmed).

The area is 4x4 so 16m2 in total. It is going to be used regularly I want to make it 3 inches thick with iron re enforced. 

Now I have never did any thing like this but want to do it my self due to what the local guys asking for it.

What my understanding is:

1. Dig the area with atleast 10 cm depth

2. Use good weed killer and weed mat.

3. Use the base material (which I don't know what to use)

4. Compact it with plate compactor(available from bunnings for hire)

5. Use some liner for waterproofing.

6. Use iron mesh for re enforcing.

7. May be get premix concrete.

I got all the above from reading but as I am new to this, a bit nervous on starting.

Can some one please help me with suggestions or any videos that I can refer.

Thank you,

Krishna

krishna
Growing in Experience

Re: Carport concrete

@ProjectPete. I am in Adelaide.
Liam
Finding My Feet

Stick with the DIY concept more satisfying. Set up for a Saturday morning get some friends or relatives to help. Buy sand, metal and cement from a supplier and if you cannot borrow a mixer then rent one. Your sand supplier will calculate how much material you need. Clear everything from your work area and remove grass then dig out out or fill where you are concreting. Set any formwork now. You dont need a compactor. Use some fill sand to get your levels right, 75mm thick reinforced slab is ok for a car. Water in any fill sand to compact. Use a builders plastic for membrane then fit steel mesh roughly 25mm above this. before you start mixing re check everything. I always use a 4-2-1 ratio for backyard concrete, not too much water. Happy concreting. Clean all your tools and machine after using. Remove any formwork 1- 2 days later.

Watch some youtube to get the ideas going.

Concrete takes about a month to attain full hardness so keep damp for a few days.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your knowledge and experience @Liam. I'm sure @krishna appreciates it.

It sounds like you've got a lot of wisdom to share with the community. Welcome! We're really pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading more of your posts soon. Please feel free to post whenever you have something to share or need a hand with anything. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
krishna
Growing in Experience

Finally. I finished my First project.

The quotes I got are a bit expensive so I did not go with the Concrete option.

Instead, I dig the area to 10 cm depth.

Leveled the area with compactor hired from local Bunnings store.

sprayed a lot of weed killer and used double layer of weed mat.

Purchased 20 mm dolomite quarry rubble from local Sand and metal store. 

spread it evenly and added 5 bags of concrete mix purchased from Bunnings on the top layer.

compacted it properly.

It only did cost me $400 plus my work. A lot cheaper than a proper concrete carport.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects