Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY steel shed

Jimi
Making a Splash

DIY steel shed

To get the tools out of the garage, I built a solid steel shed from scratch. Far from an expert welder, I sourced the steel beams from a local supplier and then special ordered the corrugated sheeting and flashing from Bunnings. The fittings (rails and wheels) for the large two sliding doors were purchased from Robot Building Supplies.shed 1.2.jpgshed 1.1.jpgshed 1.3.jpg

One side of the shed is a workspace as pictured, the other side is storage for all the garden tools and bikes.

Aussie-Garden
Becoming a Leader

Re: DIY Steel Shed

Great job @Jimi.

I'd love to do/have something like this. Well done! 👍

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jimi,

What a great shed you have created there! You should feel very proud of your efforts as it looks amazing. Is there any particular reason why you built it yourself? Perhaps for a custom size, it worked out cheaper or you just felt like giving it a go? Either way, I'm really impressed at how professional it looks.

Many thanks for sharing your project and we look forward to seeing what you'll be building next.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi,

I would have much preferred to buy one than custom build it (for time purposes), but i wanted it strong and i wanted to maximise the size of the shed in the area that i had. I couldn't find a pre-made shed this size (5m x 2m) with sliding doors to access both sides. Also, as I have the fence posts on my side of the fence, I didn't want to build a shed in-front of the posts as i would effectively loose 100mm or so along the whole 5m length. So the back of my shed, has a small channel that wraps around the fence post therefore not loosing any space. Price wise didnt matter so much, although this was still relatively expensive, this shed is not flimsy in any way, high quality sliding doors and a good size shed, it was much more cost-effective to build myself. I also really wanted to get better at welding, so this gave me the opportunity...although 'better' may be an overstatement.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Jimi,

Many thanks for the additional information. It certainly looks like you made the right decision given the circumstances. I'd imagine employing a company to build a custom shed of this calibre would attract a premium price tag. I think you are also being too modest about your welding skills, they look more than adequate and the shed appears to be professionally made. Good solid welds don't necessarily need to look pretty.

Mitchell

@Jimi I was thinking of doing something similar (building my own shed).

How did you go with council approvals? What kind of drawings and info do they need? I'm confident in designing and building it - not so much the approvals.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @toxicantidote.,

It's great to have you join us and we look forward to hearing more about your shed project. I trust @Jimi can let us know what procedure they went through, however, as to the regulations in your local area it is best to check with the council as per their requirements. There are often limitations before needing approval, those could be the overall height, square meterage, how close it is to an adjoining property and if the property is considered rural. Your local council can certainly set you in the right direction with the relevant paperwork that applies in your location.

Mitchell 

Hi @toxicantidote

as @MitchellMc has explained, it is always best to check with your local council. As my shed is freestanding and not over 10m2, a permit was not required.

@Jimi Dang, I was hoping you'd had experience doing the legwork with the council.

My council needs permits for "any span over 3m". I might have to rethink my plans to incoporate this limit.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects