Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Damaged brickwork surrounding garage door

Neo19
Making a Splash

Damaged brickwork surrounding garage door

Hi Fellow workshoppers,

A small piece from a brick fell down while I was operating garage door this morning and upon investigation found the brick where one end of garage door track has been attached to have gotten broken into multiple pieces.

This brick was only joined on three sides as it was on the topmost layer and hence gave away eventually with all the push and pull forces from operating garage door.

I’ve removed all the broken brick pieces. Now my garage door cannot be operated as the track is not fixed on one end.

Please see attached pictures.

Wondering what is the best way to tackle this?

I did think of filling the hole with a brick using mortar and some glue however concerned about the same issue repeating or possibly the brick getting pushed in.IMG_20200628_143126.jpgIMG_20200628_143059.jpgIMG_20200628_143107.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Garage Door

Hi @Neo,

Many thanks for your questions, I'd be happy to contribute to the discussion. I believe a good way to tackle this issue would be to replace the brick with new mortar then wait for the mortar to fully cure. Take a Carinya 350 x 125 x 5mm Galvanised Mending Plate Bracket and predrill holes in it to suit the holes on the mechanisms mounting bracket. Use the existing holes in the mending bracket for size and predrill holes in the new brick and adjacent bricks to suit them. Install the mending plate with Dynabolts and then fix the mounting bracket to the mending plate.

The idea would be to spread the load from the garage door mechanism over several bricks instead of just the one.

Please let me know if you need further advice or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you for your suggestion @MitchellMc . That works well, I've got some spare bricks, mortar bags and Dynabolts. Only need to get the plate bracket. 

Your diagram made it so easy for me to understand what I need to do. Can I ask what program have you used to create the diagram? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Neo19,

The program I am using is Tinkercad a free online design tool. There are other more powerful design tools out there, but the reason I am using it is its pure simplicity. It does lack some functionality, however, it takes literally 5mins to learn how to use and is able to convey diagrams like the above very well.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

thank you. That will be helpful for me in future projects @MitchellMc 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects