Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do you need a building permit for walling in a carport?

Victory
Finding My Feet

Do you need a building permit for walling in a carport?

1) I've been advised by the council building department building surveyor that I do not require a building permit to wall in (enclose) the exposed side of my carport with a NON-LOAD BEARING stud wall & 9mm thick cement sheet on the outside (meets BAL 40/FZ rating). This carport side currently has 5 vertical posts in-ground concreted (over engineered on the concrete footings by my visual reckoning). The span between each post is 2300mm or less. This was constructed many years ago before my occupation.

2) I will shortly have an automatic tilt up panel door (hinging mechanism) on the front of the carport.

3) The key is the open back of the carport - the span between the rear posts (2 only - left & right) is 4600mm. Can I install a NON-LOAD BEARING stud wall in the back of the carport, WITHOUT A BUILDING PERMIT? This would also be clad outside with 9mm thick cement sheeting. As the span is significant, I would dynabolt/concrete anchor the bottom rail of the stud to the concrete carport floor to increase structural stability. I do not intend installing an intermediate/middle vertical post at this stage, as that would trigger a building permit (according to my research).

If you are not sure on the building permit requirement, then best guesstimate is appreciated (don't worry I'm not holding you to it!). I don't yet plan on asking a private building surveyor because they are financially incentivised to tell me I need a building permit, even if I don't need one.

(The 'fourth' side of the carport is the brick veneer of the house - hence already 'walled'. And of course the carport already has a roof)

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Building permit - walling in carport to become garage

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Victory. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about building permits.

The only person that can give you a definitive answer is someone working at your local council. Something that is compliant in one council might not be in yours. Is there some reason why you wouldn't ask the same person you spoke to in the council building department again? 

I'm always happy to take a guesstimate, but there's really nothing to go off here. If the council is happy with a side wall and you're installing a garage door to block the view of the back door, then I see no reason why the rear wall wouldn't be allowed. Potentially enclosing the rear wall might mean adding too many walls to the carport, and your council might take issue to you creating an enclosed space.

Your best bet is to speak with the council again.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects