Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Durable E27 bulb for Arlec 60W Handheld Work Light?

FredB
Getting Established

Durable E27 bulb for Arlec 60W Handheld Work Light?

Hi  

I recently bought this work light

https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-60w-handheld-work-light-with-5m-lead_p0018267 - Arlec 60W E27 Globe inspection work light features a high impact resistant metal cage. Comes with 5 metre lead and on/off switch.

The hook is very convenient and the light works well in the garage and roof space BUT I've had to replace the bulb twice so far in a matter of weeks. Both times the bulb died after the work light had been knocked slightly after being in use for an hour or so. I suspect the bulbs that I have used are too fragile when they heat up. 

Can anyone recommend a durable type of E27 bulb for a portable work light ?

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Durable E27 bulb for Arlec 60W Handheld Work Light

Hi @FredB 

Before I make a recommendation, can you please tell me what bulb did you use originally? Was it an LED bulb or did you use a traditional filament bulb? 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
FredB
Getting Established

Thanks for your reply Eric

As this worklight doesn't come supplied with a bulb I have just used some spares that I have. They are halogen 53w 2800k bulbs .... which according to the box are supposed to last "up to 2000 hours" !

I have sent a similar query to Arlec customer service who have now replied to have the worklight replaced under warranty. I don't think the problem is with the worklight itself though.

Regards

Fred 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @FredB 

I was going to suggest an LED globe with a stronger lumen output such as the Osram 12W 1350lm Day Light LED Stick E27 Globe. But if it appears that the work light itself is faulty. I suggest bringing it in for an exchange rather than busting another bulb. 

Please remember to bring your docket so that the customer service team can track down your purchase.  

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

FredB
Getting Established

Thanks for your suggestion Eric

I was intending to try an LED bulb next, I think a cooler running bulb would be a better option for a portable work light like this to help eliminate the problem I've had so far. As some of those bulbs get expensive I'll look for reviews before trying them out for this work light.

As I don't use E27 bulbs for most of my light fittings I just used some spares that I already had, they are these:           

Brilliant 53W 790lm A60 Warm White Frosted Dimmable Halogen E27 Globe - 6 Pack

Brilliant 53W 790lm A60 Warm White Frosted Dimmable Halogen E27 Globe - 6 Pack - Bunnings Australia

From the reviews there are other people reporting problems with those bulbs.  

I don't think the work light itself is at fault, I used it again for a few hours today. Until I have more confidence in a bulb with it though I am keeping clear of it after it has warmed up and not moving it until it has had time to cool down again !

By the way Arlec customer support were not much help, they just advised that any bulb up to 60w would work.

Regards

Fred 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Durable E27 bulb for Arlec 60W Handheld Work Light?

Hi @FredB,

From my experience, halogen globes don't like being knocked when hot. That might not have anything to do with your issue, but I've experienced many halogen worklight globes go out when I've knocked them during use. I'd recommend you swap to LED or fluorescent.

Mitchell 

FredB
Getting Established

Re: Durable E27 bulb for Arlec 60W Handheld Work Light?

Thanks Mitchell

That's what I think as well from this recent use. A slight nudge of the lamp was all it took both times the globes blew. 

I'll pick up some LED globes soon, until then I'm being careful to avoid touching this work light when it's been on for a while.

Fred

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects