Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can i block these gaps on the garage door?

firsthome2022
Growing in Experience

How can i block these gaps on the garage door?

Mice are coming in through these end haps on my garage roller door. I just paid to have the seal replaced as i thought a new seal would cover these gaps but somehow it's now worse. I'm all out of ideas now. I don't want to go back to stuffing the gaps with steel wool every night.

1000005267.jpg

1000005268.jpg

What can I do just to block those gaps but not impact how the door functions????

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can i block these gaps on the garage door?

Hello @firsthome2022, 

I propose covering the gap between the wall and the garage door rail guide with Hume 18 x 18mm 2.7m Moulding H3 Treated Pine FJ Primed DAR. If the gap is bigger than the moulding, go up to the next size up. I suggest using Selleys 420g Liquid Nails Fast Grab Strong Adhesive to anchor the moulding to the wall and rail guide.

In regards to the gap inside the rail guide, I recommend using Eva 50 x 50cm Black Solid Interlock Foam Mats. I propose cutting a small rectangular piece and gluing it to the cement floor by the bottom of the rail. This will technically cover the gap when the garage door comes down. 

You'll need to do a few test fittings to make sure that the gap is totally sealed. I also suggest putting in a RATSAK Fast Action Reusable Rodent Bait Station With Wax Blocks near the garage entrance. Please make sure to keep pets and children away from the bait station.

I also suggest having a look at the discussion Keeping mice out of the house by @Prof and the Best Advice article What is the best way to get rid of mice and rats?

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Prof for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Afternoon @firsthome2022 

Looks like they have a revolving door :smile: Is it just the base of the door in corners or is it also between the wall and the vertical bar?

@EricL 's suggestion of a piece of Dar verticaly was pretty much my thought for that gap on the wall itself. As to the one at the bottom of the door my first thought was cutting down a segmant of this and attaching it to the edge of the door on the bottom plate Jack 110mm Gutterguard Outdoor Fire Retardant Bristle Guard

or 

Trojan 3 x 14 Row Wooden Wire Brush and cutting a square and attaching it near the edge as well. I did think of a stiff dustpan brush as well.

I use to have mice entering my kitchen but like you I used a ball of steel wool in the corner and no issues since. All thats needed is for the door to still be able to run freely in the runner. You could even fasten the steel wool to the door using  a Countersunk screw (From underneath) and washer or just a very large paper clip to test the idea? J.Burrows 50mm Foldback Clips 12 Pack 

Dave

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Hi @firsthome2022, 

As you are probably aware mice can crawl through the slightest gaps..I am amazed at times just how small that gap is.!!

So It doesn't matter how many holes or gaps you try to fill in..they will find a way in..

The only way you can stop them is with a deterrent..

I discovered some time ago that Peppermint oil is the most effective product you can use..

I have strung cotton wall balls on a piece of wire and dripped the oil onto the balls..and then placed the wire next to the entrance of where they were getting in..

I never had another mouse come  into the house.!!

Unfortunately the person who cleans my yard thought it was rubbish and put it in the bin...

I forgot about it, and not long after that I had mice back in the house again.!!

Your situation is a bit different..You obviously can't have cotton balls outside next to an opening garage door..so I suggest you place the wire with the balls along the side the wall inside right up against that opening..

They can still get in..but they might just turn around and go outside again..

I hope that helps..

Prof...

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects