Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I paint a Colorbond roller door?

Janine103
Just Starting Out

How do I paint a Colorbond roller door?

How do I paint a colourbond roller door? Paint is faded & comes off when wiped

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: How do I paint a Colorbond roller door?

Hi @Janine103,

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop,

The best way you can do this, is remove all of the existing paint with an abrasive tool, such as an angle grinder fitted with a wire cup-brush.

You will need PPE, as in a face shield, gloves and possibly some overalls, as this could get messy.

Then you need to coat the metal with a primer, this will help the paint stick.

The most effective way to then paint the surface is with a spray gun, these can be hired and it is a lot easier to use this rather than use a brush or

other application methods.

I'm sure @EricL will be able to point you in the direction of a good  primer and paint to use.

Cheers,

Mike T.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I paint a Colorbond roller door?

Hello @Janine103

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @MikeTNZ. Thank you for sharing your question about painting your roller doors. I agree with the recommendation that the old paint must be removed. It sounds like the powder coating has finally deteriorated and can't be painted over. 

If you don't have a grinder, you can also use an orbital sander this will speed up the removal of the old paint on your roller door. You will need to manually sand between the roller folds of the roller door. Once you've removed all the paint on the metal door, I suggest giving the roller door a wash with soap and water in combination with Scotch-Brite 155 x 100mm Heavy Duty Scourer Pad. This will remove all the dust and debris on the door.

When the roller door is dry, I suggest using the White Knight Rustguard System. Begin with the White Knight Rust Guard Medium Grey Metal Primer Paint - 1L. This primer gives excellent adhesion and provides a rust-inhibiting protective barrier. For the topcoat, I suggest using White Knight 1L White Gloss Rust Guard Quick Dry Advanced Enamel Paint tinted to your preferred colour. It has excellent UV protection and a non-yellowing formula.

I suggest having a look at this discussion - How do I best paint our garage roller door? by @Stephen5366 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint ( the techniques shown can also be used on your roller door )

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects