Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I prevent heat build up in my shed?

MaryTonnz
Building a Reputation

How do I prevent heat build up in my shed?

Hi I have recently purchased a shed which I use as my sewing room, here in Tauranga..

I have insulated the walls but it has a metal roof and the heat build up these days is preventing me from using the shed during a large part of the day in this hot weather. The fan I have gives me some cooling but not nearly enough.

What is my best solution (taking into account that I am 72 years old). Also, is there something I can put on the non-opening windows and ranchslider door  to help?

Front of shedFront of shed1 of 2 windows1 of 2 windowsMetal RoofMetal RoofCentre of roof with skylight section at front and backCentre of roof with skylight section at front and back

Thank you

Mary

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I prevent heat build up in my shed

Hi @MaryTonnz,

What's the temperature outside the shed compared to the ambient temperature inside the shed? The roof could heat up above the outside temperature and radiate that inside. If this is the case, it might be worth installing a wall exhaust fan and wall vents to help evacuate this hot air. The system could be set up on a timer that turns the fan on prior to the hottest part of the day, so the inside of the shed isn't saturated with heat.

You might also like to look at insulating the roof with foam insulation panels. These can be easily glued to the underside of the roofing and will assist with preventing heat transfer. The Expol Platinum Board R1.41 2400x1200x45mm Insulation would make a great choice, and your entire roof could be covered with a few sheets.

Another effective solution would be to run a portable air-conditioner in the space. You'd need to duct the outlet through the wall. Once again, if you had it set up on a timer, you could have it turn on a couple of hours prior to when you'd typically use the room, and it should be capable of dropping the temperature to a tolerable level.

Using a combination of roof insulation and the air-con is likely going to give you the best results.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @MaryTonnz 

Firstly sorry your great looking sewing room is  almost unusable at peak summer times 

Can I say lovly photos of your room inside and out showing us you project room

It  is great you allready insulated the walls etc. 

The ultimate solution  to your  heat problem is a Split airconditioner system with INVERTER  technology for  power efficiacy  you will only need a small system 3Kw approx.  Cost Installed $2000 approx Fujitsu is one  brand I trust currently amongst  some other good brands. I know its a lot of money for  anyone so can I suggest a savings account just for this project,  At least your  have power  to your room  allready saving you money.  

Not  only will this cool your space to exactly the  right temperature you want in the summer it will  warm you in winter too. Because the shed partly insulated allready and you  only will need the air con on for the times your in there and only if it gets hot/cold  your power bill will barely blip. If you run it 24/7  ok 1/5 power increase possibly.  A small space will not need as much power either.

The truth is Mary  your roof and door will heat up to uncomfortable levels regardless of any passive insulation we do. But any extra passive insulation will increase your air cons  efficancy not that they cost much to run these days.

1.  There are some other  Passive cooling options you allready meantioned you might like on the doors and windows, Well there is a  solution for all your doors and windows  including the back small window, solar window film a clear plastic layer that blocks alot to sun infered and uv light . But  it is still a  little hot sitting behind the glass even  using the best Window  film.

Pillar 1.2 x 2.4m Crystal Clear Adhesive Window Film I/N: 3962495  $90   This is the best, UV 99%block age  , 90% infrared  at the same time is a  clear window,

There are cheaper  tinted  versions of this film .

2 You can grow a big vine over your shed roof completly covering it star  jasmine etc if you decide this route say so  gardeners here can  advise to  more options.  This will  cool your shed dramatically.  This will also give you shed a softer  more natural outline.

3 Alternatly  Under your roof you can  place  Foil board insulation  this help slow the heat increase during the day.

Foilboard 20 x 2400 x 1200mm Ultra 20 Insulation I/N: 0125956  $44.73

https://www.bunnings.com.au/foilboard-20-x-2400-x-1200mm-ultra-20-insulation_p0125956

I hope this gives you food for thought

Thank you for your information.  

I have requested a quote for the air con so will see what that comes to.

I will also check out the foil board, (see if I can put it up myself etc),

and I love the idea of the star jasmine growing up and over the roof.

Mary

Hi @MaryTonnz,

I'm not sure if you'll find foil-backed insulation board in N.Z.. We do have an extensive range of foam insulation panels, though. In your situation, they should would equally well.

Important note for our New Zealand readers:

The New Zealand Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) issued a ban on the use of foil insulation in July 2016. The ban applies to the installation and/or repair of foil insulation in residential buildings. More information is available here: Foil insulation ban | Building Performance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MaryTonnz
Building a Reputation

OK thank you Mitchell.

Mary

MaryTonnz
Building a Reputation

Thank you for that Mitchell, I have now sent out a messed to organise a quote for an air con, and I will go in and look at the insulation panels (if I can glue them to the roof then I am pretty sure I can manage that).

Mary

Hi @MaryTonnz 

The  small  Inverter A/C will instantly Cool and heat your space.

To speed  up your Star jasmine  plant 2  mid way 1  each side along the side  or at the rear corners especially if the hot afternoon  sun comes from that direction.  If you plant need the door you will have more pruning to do  but a crafty person may put concreters  mesh each side of the slab points  into the ground and standard sheet size 4M x 2M can be easy cut  to  your size  with hacksaw pulled over and bent using its natural springiness meeting a matching sheet fro the other side making it and arch  or a round shape with more pulling so  the whole effect is like an green arch  entery way with plants the  mesh  will rust but plants will hide it.  Hang  decoration off mesh  etc. Mesh  designed to strengthen concrete its  strong and a cheap ready made arch way but  delivery maybe required and Bunnings only seams to stock smaller sized mesh which isnt long enough  to curve over head.

Mesh a ltiile hard to wrangle get a bit of helpMesh a ltiile hard to wrangle get a bit of helpFinished arch  with green plant drowing.Finished arch with green plant drowing.

Using  fragrent climbing roses  , Rambling rose for roof. Or  pick your own favorite climbers 

single 6m length  as a guidesingle 6m length as a guide

Heat will be greatly diminished from direct sun radient heat the other insulation wont be required  if you wanted to  do this in stages.

That looks like a great idea !

Thank you very much.

:smile:

MaryTonnz
Building a Reputation

update, I took the advice regarding the Air Con and I got in touch on Wednesday for a quote, got that $1995, and it was booked in and installed on Friday.  Fantastic !!  It makes such a diferrence and will keep the sewing studio warm in winter too :smile: :smile:

Mary

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects