Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add sides to carport to screen from weather?

yannrandri
Growing in Experience

How to add sides to carport to screen from weather?

Hi

I have to store a few things so it does not get affected by the weather conditions. I have a carport but obviously all sides are wide open and though rain is coming through... I am looking at solutions to make some screening on 3 sides for it.  The posts for the carport are metal frame spaced about 2m70 between them. height from the ground to the upper beam is about 2m20. 

I attached some pictures of the carport if that can help.

Thanks for your help

Yannpic0.jpgpic1.jpgmetal beams and postsmetal beams and posts

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Carport and screening

Hi @yannrandri,

How long do you need to store these items for? As a temporary solution, I'd recommend covering the exterior sides with builder's plastic film. You'll be able to tape the plastic to the beams and poles with all-weather duct tape. This will create a quite weather-resistant structure and should keep your stored goods dry. 

The reason for mentioning the above method is that there are not many weather-resistant screening options. Typically, screening is not a solid material, and rain spray will easily transfer through it. If you line the three sides with black plastic, you can clad them with a more aesthetically pleasing screening. You then have the benefit of the area being water-tight but with the attractive look of the screening.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell.

I was thinking about similar using tarp (https://www.bunnings.com.au/polytuf-2-4-x-3-0m-heavy-duty-tarpaulin_p3332369 ) on each side as it would stop most of the rain I guess. though I was not sure if it would be strong enough for the wind. I will look at the Builders Plastic. sounds easy enough.

Thanks

Yann

Tarps would work, too, @yannrandri.

You've selected a heavy-duty version, so it should withstand damage from the wind well. The benefit of using tarps is that you can use rope through the corner grommets to position them correctly.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects