Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add sound proofing to garage ceiling?

carol3
Finding My Feet

How to add sound proofing to garage ceiling?

hi there

I have a 2 storey home and my son has moved in the garage. Upstairs we have floorboards and the noise downstairs is quite loud. The roof downstairs is gyprock. Will those sound proofing squares work that you stick on or can you recommend anything else. I am concerned they are too thin. 
thank you

Carol

ROF666
Finding My Feet

Re: sound proofing

If you are talking about the tiles with holes in them, then they will not work for noise transmitted through from upstairs; they are for reducing reflected noise.

If the noise is squeaking floorboards, then Google for how to fix that.

For impact noise on upper floor, the simplest solution is rugs on the upstairs floor. A more dramatic solution would be to drill several holes in the gyprock ceiling and inject expanding foam; being careful not to inject so much as to have the foam push the gyprock off its fixings.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @carol3. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about sound insulation.

It's great to see that @ROF666 has already provided a helpful reply, and I'd agree that the squares typically sold for sound insulation in rooms are to stop reflective noise. Adding rugs is a perfect way to reduce the transmitted noise, and if the noise is from walking on the floor, I would believe rugs would be almost more effective than acoustic insulation. You're in luck as we've just had a huge range of new rugs arrive in-store. I'm sure you'll find something to suit your needs.

We do have acoustic insulation, but you'd need to remove the plaster ceiling and install the insulation. 

Have a read of our Best Advice article on How do you soundproof a bedroom? I'm sure you'll find some of the information helpful.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank u so much for your help. I will pop down to Coffs and have a chat to one of the guys. 
Cheers

Carol

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Please let us know how you go @carol3.

You might also find this article from @Adam_W useful: How to soundproof your home.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you very much. 
cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects