Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to bolt a stand to a concrete slab?

savin
Getting Established

How to bolt a stand to a concrete slab?

Hi,

I have purchased a floor stand for a heavy punchbag (approx 40-50kg) and need to bolt it to the floor of my shed.

Ive included a photo of the base itself (it's not the exact place I will be securing it) and a picture of the outside of the shed which shows  depth of the concrete slab. It definitely gets shallower towards the back of the shed, but looks pretty deep in the area that I want to place it. 

From what I've read, using 'dynabolts' or an "ankascrew" seems to be the best option. Is that correct? Is one better than the other? I don't want to risk damaging the concrete  but am hoping that the stress of the bag shouldn't be too significant.

Any advice appreciated - thank you!

IMG_3048.jpgIMG_3049.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to bolt a stand to a concrete slab?

Hello @savin 

One alternative I would like to suggest is to use Ramset 300ml Chemset UltraFix Plus in combination with the Ramset M12 x 160mm ChemSet Anchor Stud. Dynabolt fixings puts pre-stress on the concrete slab. In comparison the Ultrafix anchors itself to the wall around it and the bolt that has been sunk into it.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: Ramset Ultrafix

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
savin
Getting Established

Thanks Eric, that looks great and would be preferable not to stress the concrete. Is there any difference in the strength / effectiveness of that vs the dynabolt?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @savin,

Using the stud and Ultrafix provides a more effective chemically bonded anchor than a Dynabolts mechanical one. A Dynabolt can be pulled out with extreme stress, whereas the stud would pull out a chunk of concrete with it.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
savin
Getting Established

Thanks Mitchell, I'll get that tomorrow

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects