Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a garden shed base on bluestone paving?

sbajada
Finding My Feet

How to build a garden shed base on bluestone paving?

hi I have existing bluestone paving where I want to mount a absco shed 3mx0.78m. Not wanting to damage or drill into bluestone I am Thinking of Bunnings concrete slab pavers over rubber shed pavers to protect the bluestone. I believe I can just lay the rubber and pavers and dynabolt the shed to the concrete pavers. Is this a reasonable approach??

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: building a garden shed base on bluestone

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sbajada. It's amazing to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing an Absco shed.

The manufacturer recommends that your shed is installed on a rebated concrete slab. However, timber flooring or concrete slabs can be used as a temporary solution. While using concrete pavers is a reasonable approach, Absco does not recommend their long-term use as a base as they are not totally secure and can affect the durability and rigidity of your shed.

Your shed currently requires two sets of Absco Sheds Concrete Anchor Set - 4 Pack to be fixed to a concrete slab. If you are instead fixing to concrete pavers, then I'd recommend you increase the number of total anchors to 12. This will mean the weight of approximately 12 slabs will be holding down your shed in high winds instead of just the eight. 

Using rubber pavers under the concrete pavers sounds like an excellent way to project the bluestone underneath.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the welcome and fast response @MitchellMc ! You mentioned timber l, I was looking at your 3.6mx.200mmx50mm treated sleeper laid flat with plywood on top to join the 4 sleepers together to make the floor.versus the concrete slab pavers. Timber seems like the easier material to use and bolt shelving to as well as being more wlaesrhetic. Or is it best to stick with the weight of the concrete paver slab.? Thabks again !

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The Absco Sheds 1.52 x 0.78m Timber Flooring Kit is a convenient option, though you could use treated Pine sleepers @sbajada. You'd need to use marine-grade plywood for it to have some weather resistance. 

My only concern with using sleepers is that they can warp and distort quite dramatically if they are not securely fixed into position due to their moisture content. The force of their distortion could quite easily lift your shed up in the air. I'd recommend sticking with the concrete paver slabs.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Awesome thanks @MitchellMc ordered concrete and shed and wait delivery !

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects