Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a wheelchair-accessible workshop?

pepsp
Having an Impact

How to build a wheelchair-accessible workshop?

My elderly dad has recently started using a motorised wheelchair and is wanting to move his whole workshop to my place as he doesn't think he can use his gear any more. He has really high end tools and woodwork has been a passion for him.

We're starting to plan out the project so he can maintain a sense of control over his gear. I'd like to find a way to make my garage accessible for him so we can complete a few projects together even with his mobility constraints but I'm not sure where to start. Any pointers or ideas on what I'd need to consider to make a wheelchair accessible work bench and tool storage?

Thanks in advance workshop community!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a wheelchair-accessible workshop?

Hi @Super_D 

Thanks for sharing those extra recommendations regarding bench height. Let me tag @pepsp to make sure they see your suggestions. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of one of your bench tools on slides? I'm sure our members would be keen to see how you've arranged its accessibility. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Super_D
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to build a wheelchair-accessible workshop?

I will post a photo of one of my bench tools to see how I've  arranged them..

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects