Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a wheelchair-accessible workshop?

pepsp
Having an Impact

How to build a wheelchair-accessible workshop?

My elderly dad has recently started using a motorised wheelchair and is wanting to move his whole workshop to my place as he doesn't think he can use his gear any more. He has really high end tools and woodwork has been a passion for him.

We're starting to plan out the project so he can maintain a sense of control over his gear. I'd like to find a way to make my garage accessible for him so we can complete a few projects together even with his mobility constraints but I'm not sure where to start. Any pointers or ideas on what I'd need to consider to make a wheelchair accessible work bench and tool storage?

Thanks in advance workshop community!

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Wheelchair accessible workshop

Hi  @pepsp  it good your working with your dad.

I  am planning ahead  in case i need a wheel chair too so I planned a double garage.

I envision  a island work bench. maybe 2.4  x2.0 M  A  work  large bench sitting on top of  4 to  6  automotive tool cupboards  with caster wheels  with lockable wheels. (if they dont have then swap then over  with ones in Bunnings only the front ones  need swapping).  The automotive cupboards store various tools power and hand tools for easy access height .  But have bench grinder and  drill press vices  installed  for  wheel chair use mount  drill press and bench grinder under and fixed   between automotive cupboards on a lower shelf.  Or fixed lower custom height benches for  wheel chair for drill press and  bench grinder as tool examples along the side of the garage leaving island  bench flat and rectangular.  You  said he  has high end tools probably lathe etc you will have to mount that  on a lower platform.

@pepsp  A question  for you and your dad,  Do you think mounting  some equipment like  a lathe at an angle ie 30  or 45 degrees instead of flat  would  work so  your father can reach more over the top of his equipment and projects?

So the automotive trolleys  come in different heights( buy closest fit height.)  and  different functions ie tool socket set racks etc  Slotted  racks for screw drivers chisels etc. then simple dual draws for other misc tools, hand tools or  power tools. also  plain cupboards if you wish/need.

automotive trolleys vary greatly in  price so choose wisly. if you  have 4 trolleys thats 16 wheels to distribute 200 kg of wieght. is good. make sure  trolleys  have strong enough walls . Sit on it see if it flexes badly and buy better one.

Mount power sockets around table all sides for easy access under table.  Also a retractable or wind up power  ext cord.

Eg I use triton  wood saw and router etc I will have to lower it to access it.

See crude  drawing for bench  concept.  I think  side garage bench mounted drill press etc would be best leaving  table free of clutter.

I hope my ideas  arnt to hard to follow the way i explain it.   bench.jpg

Hope  this gives some starting ideas.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build a wheelchair-accessible workshop?

Let me tag a clever and creative wheelchair user in @Super_D to get his input on this great topic.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Super_D
Becoming a Leader

Looks good.. The main problem I have is height, storing thing at a reachable high and getting the right pick up tool getting things I drop and getting things that are high. I store things I dont use much up higher. I am still on the hunt for the right one that is strong enough, maybe another project.. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @pepsp

My apologies for the late reply. A good way to start would be to look at the tools that he has in his garage. Next is to think about space and accessibility. Is there enough room to turn the wheelchair inside your garage? How low will the tables need to be in order for your father to still have access to the tools and equipment? 

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your garage and its measurements? This will give our members a chance to assess the space. We can then make recommendations on the best possible configuration. Some of the other things you'll need to consider are cabinet sizes, mobility of the cabinets and whether you'll still be able to put a work table in the middle of the garage.

We look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Super_D @pepsp 

I read your need re  high objects and lower objects so I am wondering if the following concepts  float your boat in any way.

Basically I was thinking your  objects  sight unseen.  why not put your odd shaped items into a box that can take most every shape if it is big enough These  said  boxes  made from pine timber as it is light and strong enough for a light./medium weigh box .

Access these boxes stored on a shelf up high with Concept "Skypole "  see drawing.  If this works for you I/we can then work out how to make a sky pole to  test it.

A similar Idea to skypole is Floor pole (lol lame names just  so we can  talk about them)  think metal eggslide (bigger?) with an top  adjustable locking arm/brace that when tilted back lifts the item on the egg slide.  Now picture this same egg slide under a box and the top  brace locking in the top of it the box is tiltable now  put small 50mm wheel on it that box will be movable one handed.

From a  book to a box text in pic should say. re  Floor pole lifter

sky pole and floor polesky pole and floor pole

Yes, love it, what  a super good idea. This could be retrofitted to boxes already fitted..

Hi @Super_D 

I am glad this is of use to you.

Further more I mentally  have designed a  proto types made from square metal  tubing if you can operate a  hack saw with a  bench vice cut  and open up tubing and bend flaps to right angles to make brackets to attach to other components.

But a  wooden version could work too.  

I wont force them on to you as  your handy too. 

But  dont be shy if I can  help.

Over 10 years ago I built this trolley to help lift item in my workshop in and out of the car or from the bench to the floor,

as being in a wheelchair I am limited to ways I can lift item.
Its made from 2 small Bunnings trollies a small boat winch and some steel tube, using the lower section of one for the platform that runs up and down on the rails. I also welded 2 loops to strap the items on while moving them.

I made it because I can not lift boxes and other things very well. I thought of making it when I was trying to get a slab of beer out of the car

and I could get it out ok but then I couldn't put it down on the floor, and the same goes for gas bottles and potting mix.IMG_2989.JPGIMG_2991.JPGIMG_2992.JPGIMG_2990.JPG

Hi @Super_D 

Some how I knew you have the  metal tools and skills  :smile:  Great I dont have to  worry about you too much :0) in the skills department.

I hear you and  your necessity being the mother of invention getting that slab out of the car. lol 

But thats a big red lifting machine worthy  of  a photo or two. Nice design and functional good for a  good 50kgs at least. 

Great cross thinking ability ie  boat winch  and  double trolley I am the same I was just about to use and old aluminium  TV aeril as dowels to help join two twisted timbers together to make a work bench with a bit of mass to it.  Timber maybe too twisted  costing me nothing to try.

I will be watching the  news no doubt you might have some rockets under  your wheel chair.  Nah not good you will need to rego it if they caught up to you. 

Ps  Nice workshop my garage is in need  of a big  clean.

Some times I get stuck for solutions I know I can call on you to help nut out a  solution set if ideas too.

Tony (sydney)

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects