Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build snake barrier inside garage door?

Steve5
Having an Impact

How to build snake barrier inside garage door?

Hi,

I've installed some equipment in my garage so I'm looking for a way to keep the snakes out while I'm working in the garage with the door open.  The garage has besser block walls and a 4.8m sectional roll up door.

My original thought was to build a screen wall with a 800mm swing door attached to the garage opening that would keep out snakes and flies but the architectural committee (wife) said too ugly.

Now, I'm thinking about building a 1.2m high snake mesh fence just inside the garage door.  I've built a similar fence around a small dog run (see attached) but wanted to see if anyone had any brilliant ideas for something more creative.

If I build the snake mesh fence, I'd need to use metal U brackets bolted to the concrete floor for posts.  

It might be easier getting a tight seal with an accordion door vs. a wood frame gate.

Thanks!

Snake Fence .jpg

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to build snake barrier inside garage door?

Hey @Steve5 , do we have Snakes coming in often while you're working in there? Sounds horrifying if so 😱. Do you have an image of the space you'll be installing this to? Might be easier to visualise and offer a solution if we can see the area. 

Remarka6le

Thanks for response but found solution already.  I'm going to get this free standing pet gate with a door and cover with shade cloth:

https://www.innovations.com.au/p/pets/pets-in-the-home/free-standing-pet-gate-with-door?affiliate=AD... 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Steve5

My garden has a family of blue tongue lizards that continually come into my garage when I'm working. I built this garage fence that prevents them from slithering into the garage. The best part is that I can easily take it out and lean it on my wall when I need to park the car in. It's made from Porta 40 x 18mm 2.4m Moulding Pine DAR Clear, MDF offcuts and Shade Cloth. Please have a look and tell me what you think.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Steve5
Having an Impact

Thanks.  I used something similar on a window that birds play on.  The window has reflective thermal coating so it's like the mirrors hung in bird cages.

Steve5
Having an Impact

Hi EricL,

I decided to use a metal puppy pen enclosure since the door is raised so easier to block snakes:

https://k9pro.com.au/puppy-pen/

Now I need to figure out how to route pipes through my snake barrier.

The installation is a dog water treadmill so there are 3 white PVC pressure pipes that need to come out of the garage door (see photo) opening to dump water into the garden using a firehose:

1.  Filter backwash 40mm (used regularly, pool pump pressure but open end)

2.  Tank drain 50mm (rarely used, no pressure)

3.  Chamber drain 50mm (rarely used, no pressure)

I plan to cut an opening in one of the puppy pen panels and bolt some plywood on that I can route pipes though.

Thoughts:

1.   Bring all pipes through the plywood then cap unused ones

2.   Connect all pipes together in the garage with on/off valves on all to prevent cross contamination;  Does Bunnings have a 3 input / 1 output 40mm or 50mm PVC coupling?

3.   Use 40mm to 50mm adapters so all connections inside the garage are the same size

4.   Use a 40 or 50mm compression coupling to connect to a piece of PVC pipe hose clamped to a fire hose.  But, compression coupling isn't easily taken on and off.

5.   Ideally, connections would be something easily screwed on/off like the attached flapper valve coupler i found in an old shed (see attached).  Does Bunnings have anything like this (no flapper valve needed)?

6.   Connections through the plywood would need to be tight to keep snakes out so no room for couplings to slide through unless sealed afterwards - could seal with duct tape after each setup.

7.   Snake barrier would be setup on days water treadmill is used and taken down afterwards

8.   A flexible hose is needed inside if connecting one pipe through the the barrier to different inside pipes.  Does Bunnings have a flexible 40mm or 50mm pipe?

Any thoughts and idea greatly appreciated! 

Pipes.jpgFlapper valve.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Steve5,

I like the idea of installing 40 or 50mm ball valves onto the pipes, so they can be isolated and then you'll only have to deal with one pipe. Can you have the plywood at the bottom of the cage and remove a wiring section there? That way, the cage could be lifted up and off the pipe, and there would be no need to disconnect the pipes, which sounds like a huge hassle. You could always have your system connected to the fire hose. Alternatively, you could have just a hole in the plywood instead of the cutout. The ply would sit on the pipe all the time, and when the gate was in place, you could connect it with cable ties. I've created the renderings below to illustrate.

There are no three-into-one connections, you'd need to do that with elbows on the two outer pipes facing the middle pipe and staggering their joins into it with two tee pieces. It would be easiest to convert all pipes to the same size first. This Holman 50mm PVC Compression / Coupling Repair could be used for your disconnect. It has a screw fitting similar to your coupler. We have this Abey 50mm PVC Flexible Pipe Joiner.

Let me mention @TedBear to see if he has any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

fence1.pngFence2.pngFence3.png

Hi Mitchell,

Good idea to keep the pipe on the ground and slot plywood over it.

I'll always need to disconnect the pipe when I close the garage door.

The flexible PVC pipe is great information, I can have 50mm pipe ends on all then use flexible pipe to connect to a fixed pipe in fence when needed.

Then on the outside I'll use a 50mm to 40mm reducer hose clamped to the firehose.

Thanks, great having your help!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

No problems at all, @Steve5! I'm pleased to help. 

Keep us updated, and reach out again if you have further questions!

Mitchell

Hi Again,

I found an old dog fence that I may use that just fits.  It's only about 700mm high so probably good to get a taller one for climber snakes..

Can you advise any plastic clip that I can attach to the corner of the wall?  Plan was to drill a hole in the wall and use a plastic insert to screw a clip on, but not sure how to do this on the corner.

thanks!Snake Fence Attach.jpg 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects