Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clad garden shed walls for a gym?

Pcan
Growing in Experience

How to clad garden shed walls for a gym?

The Garden Shed is approximately 3 m by 6 m. 

Need suggestions for panelling the metal walls with sheets that can be painted. The sheets roughly 1.5x1.5 m that can be screwed into the metal structure.

Should I put insulation between the walls??

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to clad garden shed walls for a gym?

Hi @Pcan

Thank you for sharing your question about how to clad your garden shed walls for a gym.

I recommend building a frame for the sheets to be screwed into. This will also provide you with the necessary gap to put in insulation. I suggest using Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 70 x 35mm to create the frame. I recommend using Ecoply® Non-Structural Plywood to go on the frame. I propose using Earthwool R2.5 HD 90mm x 430mm x 1160mm 6.98m² Insulation SoundShield Wall Batt - Pack of 14 for your insulation as it is already pre-cut and can be easily installed.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the inside of the shed? This will give our members a better idea of its condition and offer you a comprehensive recommendation. This sounds like a fantastic project, any updates you can provide while cladding your shed would be much appreciated.

Let me tag our experienced members @tom_builds and @DIYgals for their recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tom_builds
Making a Splash

Re: How to clad garden shed walls for a gym?

Hi @Pcan,

As @EricL has mentioned, if you could upload some photos we might be able to give a more specific recommendation for your situation.

For a shed that size you probably have a bit of structural steel as a frame with wall battens running perpendicular to columns for the wall sheeting to attach to. Depending on the design of the columns, you could possibly just use 70x35mm framing lengths as wall battens by attaching directly to the columns. Then you would roll out your insulation and attach your sheeting (plywood is a good option, or you could also use plasterboard or fibre cement sheets).

Sounds like a great project to be tackling, keep us updated and feel free to ask for further assistance. 

Best of luck!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects