Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean the garage floor?

ivanptr
Making a Splash

How to clean the garage floor?

Hi we just purchased a house with a very messy garage.

We are not sure what sort of stain is on the floor.

Any idea of what cleaning product should we use to restore the garage floor to a better condition? 

Or should we just use sugar soap and warm water to clean the surface and then simply cover the stains with epoxy paint?

Thank you for any ideas.

signal-2021-07-02-201821.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Garage floor cleaning

Hello @ivanptr

Thank you for sharing your question about cleaning your garage floor. 

I suggest using Chemtech 1L Concrete And Driveway Cleaner. It is biodegradable & non-toxic and does not affect plastic, rubber, glass, and most metals. Please note that this is a concentrate and must be diluted in water. Use a stiff bristle brush broom to remove dirt and debris while using Chemtech.

After brushing the garage, I recommend using a pressure washer to remove deep-seated dirt. This will wash out all the dirt and contaminants on your floor. If you decide to paint it, I suggest using White Knight Ultra Pave Garage Floor Primer and  White Knight 4L Medium Grey Ultra Pave Quick Dry Paint. for a quick refresh of the garage floor.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint concrete floors

Let me tag our experienced member: @Sugar for their recommendation.

If you need more information or advice please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to clean the garage floor?

Hi @ivanptr,

You might like to check out what member @maknilsin achieved with his epoxy garage floor project.  It's one of the most popular projects featured on Workshop and has links to Bunnings resources for how to apply epoxy to your garage floor.

Thanks,

Jason

Thank you @EricL @Jason for the valuable advise, 
We decided to hire someone professional who will use the pressure washer with degreaser.

However, we enquried a few of these people about the pressure wash process and they all say even with pressure cleaner some stains will remain to the floor.

Our question is, how do we know if the "remaining stains" on the floor is minor enough that allow us to paint the garage floor?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ivanptr

Thank you for sharing your question about stubborn stains.

Some stains like paint and grease stains are very hard to remove. You will only be able to find out once you give it a very good clean. If after using the cleaning products there are still paint stains on the floor, you will have to use a steel scraper to remove them. 

For heavy oil and grease stains, I suggest using CLR 750ml Oil And Grease Remover. Due to the age of the floor, some stains will be difficult to remove. Once the floor is totally clean and dry, you can then see what is left and we can determine if we can paint over them.

Please keep us updated.

Eric

pt2021_07_15_00_31_17_mh1626273218399.jpg

@EricL Pressure cleaned, and the cleaning guy said even it still has some stains absorbed in the concrete, the "surface" is clean now and all good for painting.

Totally not sure if we can paint it or we need to get the stain out of the concrete first. Any thought? Much appreciated..!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ivanptr

Thank you so much for the update about your garage floor. It looks much better than before, the majority of the stains and marks have been removed and the floor looks clean. The only other stains I can see are the shadows of rust blemishes left on your floor. If a pressure washer was used on your floor, it would have removed all loose dirt and debris. 

At this stage, I recommend either painting the floor or use my colleague @Jason suggestion of doing the epoxy garage floor project. Either will method will give you good results and a strong cover from future stains. 

We look forward to seeing your garage floor painted.

Eric

@EricL  We are gonna start this garage floor repaint this wee, About the product recommendation of using White Knight Ultra Pave Garage Floor Primer and  White Knight 4L Medium Grey Ultra Pave Quick Dry Paint,   

Could you suggest other self-priming paint product for garage floor? It seems that a self-priming paint without involving separate Primer and Paint is a much more efficient product to use! Saving tremendous effort and time.

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @ivanptr,

@EricL will be back on the site on Friday and happy to help further with your project. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Stevie

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ivanptr

Thank you for the garage paint update. The paint you mentioned, the White Knight 4L Medium Grey Ultra Pave Heavy Duty Concrete And Paving Paint does not require a primer. You can paint this directly onto your garage floor. There is no need to use the  White Knight Ultra Pave Garage Floor Primer. Please note that if you have been using your garage after the clean, I suggest washing it again with soap, water, and a stiff brush to remove the oil and grease brought in by your tires.

The other garage paint options are the Dy-Mark 4L Water-Based Grey Epoxy Coat Garage Floor Kit and the Garage & Factory Floor Protector 10L Charcoal. But among the three the White Knight is the easiest to apply. Your house repairs are looking great, we would love to see a photo of the garage floor once you have painted it.

If you need further assistance with this project, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects