Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to enclose the side of a shed?

Libbie
Finding My Feet

How to enclose the side of a shed?

Hi all, I have bought acreage, shed below. Opening faces east ( Harvey / Scarp easterlies )  am looking to temporarily enclose this side wall to stop wind and rain to that sandy covered section you see at the rear ( North) The sandy section will be a temp horse shelter through winter before a more permanent one is built in the paddocks after winter ( need to see what occurs drainage wise) 

I then aim to renovate (?) the shed and repurpose as a barn using lots of repurposed materials, walls of lead light timber windows ( attached pic)  French doors, other timber windows etc etc 

So should I just “ knock up” a temp stud wall to half way up, half way across, fill in with recycled tin OR go straight to designing new barn and build perm stud wall with materials. ?  I don’t have any tools as yet so need it all Tx 

1FF1BE3E-011B-4284-9DCE-D15176D0B863.jpeg

IMG_5419.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: shed enclose side

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Libbie. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about enclosing a shed.

Given that winter will soon be upon us, you'd need to assess your ability to construct the overall project in that time span. Would six weeks be enough for you? If so, then it would certainly save the double-handling.

If you were going with the temporary enclosure, I'd suggest screwing some 90 x 45mm H3-treated Pine horizontally across the gap at the bottom, top and at 1/4 and 3/4 the way up the span. One vertical piece in the middle can be used as a post which you'll screw the four horizontals to. This will prevent them from sagging due to the span. Once they are installed, you can fix polycarbonate sheeting or recycled tin roofing to them. I completed a similar project recently over a couple of days.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Libbie
Finding My Feet

Re: How to enclose the side of a shed?

Hi Mitchell, 

Thankyou for your prompt reply!!!

in in SW Western Australia so I hope it rains soon!!!

Your suggestion is along the lines as to what I thought would work however others had told me other more complication solutions, so thankyou. I’ll have a go and reach back if need be. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects