Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill a void between plasterboard and brickwork?

timln
Growing in Experience

How to fill a void between plasterboard and brickwork?

Hi, we have some gaps in our garage which I am making my way through with backing cord, caulk and expansion joint sealant but there is the void in the corner of the dry wall and the brick work above the roller door.

I am reaching out for suggestions in how to best fill it as it is pretty hollow and backing cord just falls through.

Is it a simple expansion foam job

IMG_20220201_163710141.jpg

?

Thanks in advance and keen to hear any thoughts

Screenshot_20220202-103145.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill a void between plasterboard and brickwork?

Hello @timln

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about filling a void in your plasterboard.

I suggest using Pfeiffer 15cm Plaster Repair Wall Patch. You may have to use two patches to cover the full length of the gap. Once you've done the patch, I recommend using silicone to cover the joint between the plaster and brick wall.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please don't hesitate to post them.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to fix a hole in the wall 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
timln
Growing in Experience

Thanks very much Eric for both the timely and informative reply, I will check out the wall patch you mentioned.

In am effort to do what we can to maximise draft proofing as the garage is below a bedroom which is freezing, if I was keen to fill that void (as well as sealing it up via wall patch) would foam expansion be a suitable to spray in there?

Thanks again, I am loving this forum for has so much advice about the place.

Thanks

Tim

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

HI @timln

I'm afraid spraying it with self-expanding foam will not be effective. Since we have no idea if it will be leaning against any timber framing, there's no way to know if the foam will come forward to seal the gap. If you're after stopping cold air from entering your home, I suggest reading our best advice post - How do you keep your home warm in winter?    

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the plasterboard filled and sealed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects