Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill cracks before epoxying garage floor?

GerrySly
Just Starting Out

How to fill cracks before epoxying garage floor?

Hi team,

We're looking to epoxy our garage floor following your awesome DIY video https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/home-improvement/flooring/how-to-apply-epoxy-to-a-garage-floo...

We have a few cracks in the floor and all advice suggests filling the cracks before applying the epoxy coating. We've purchased the Rust-Oleum 1L RockSolid Fast Patch Concrete repair kit (https://www.bunnings.com.au/rust-oleum-1l-rocksolid-fast-patch-concrete-repair-kit_p1580855) but are now reading advice suggesting that applying epoxy over an epoxy may cause the coating to not work properly.

Coupl of questions:

1. Can we repair the cracks with the Rust-Oleum 1L RockSolid Fast Patch Concrete repair kit and then apply epoxy over the top?

2. Should we acid etch the concrete after repairing the cracks (i.e. Rust-Oleum crack repair > sand concrete > acid etch > epoxy)?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill cracks before epoxying garage floor?

Hello @GerrySly

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about how to fill cracks before applying epoxy to the garage floor.

It's fantastic that the D.I.Y. video of How to apply epoxy to a garage floor has inspired you to give this project a go! I've spoken to our provider about the Rust-Oleum 1L RockSolid Fast Patch Concrete Repair Kit and they recommend to de-gloss the surface of the patch once it has cured. I suggest using the Flexovit 100mm x 1m 80 Grit Painted Surface Sandpaper Roll to give the patch a rough surface.

I propose acid etching the garage floor first before applying the Fast Patch Concrete Repair. Please make sure that cracks are totally dry before applying the patch. Here is a link to Rust-Oleum's TDS for the Fast Patch Concrete Repair Kit. Please keep us updated, we would be keen to see any before and after photos you can provide while fixing your garage floor.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects