Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix crack filler marks after Dy-Mark epoxy coat?

LKF
Growing in Experience

How to fix crack filler marks after Dy-Mark epoxy coat?

How do I fix the marks left from the crack filler? They were sanded down but obviously not enough.

IMG_3859.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Dy-Mark Epoxy Coat

Hi @LKF,

Can you tell whether the cracks are proud of the surrounding area or perhaps they are showing as the substrate is different from the surrounding areas? I'd love to say that another coat might hide them, but if these areas are raised, then the light is going to hit them and really bring them to your attention. Unfortunately, if this is a case that they were proud of the surrounding area, then I'm sorry but I see no other option than to sand them back and recoat.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LKF
Growing in Experience

Thank you.  What do you mean by proud?

LKF
Growing in Experience

What do you recommend I sand it back with?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I apologise, @LKF, as I could have been more descriptive. Proud being, the filled areas are higher than the rest of the floor, indicating that they weren't sanded down flush and flat with the surrounding area.

What type of filler did you use on the cracks? Was it a cement-based filler or perhaps silicone?

Basically, if this is a case of the filler not being sanded down enough, you'd need to sand the filled areas back with 180-grit sandpaper. Given that there appears to be a substantial amount of filled areas, it might be easiest to sand the entire floor. I'm sure that's not a proposition that is particularly appealing. A belt sander is likely the best tool to use. Remember you're PPE, including a respirator and safety glasses.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects