Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix rust on a kiln?

Maggymay
Growing in Experience

How to fix rust on a kiln?

I have a twenty five year old kiln, always been under cover. But now is showing some signs of rust on the top and door. What is the best way to counter the rust. I do not have a lot of money but I need to keep the kiln. Thank you.

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Rust

Hi  @Maggymay 

First off  we  need to srub off  all the old   rust  to shiny metal if possible round wire brush on a  drill will work a treat here. Do wear goggles as wires will fly off.

Next stop  visit autorepair super market and buy  car high temperature  ceramic paint should  take the heat of your kilin :smile:

Dupli-Color High Heat Ceramic paint

Dupli-Color High Heat Ceramic paints are designed to renew and extend the life of any surface which may be exposed to high heat temperatures. Being able to withstand temperatures up to 2000 degrees F they are ideal for use on exhaust systems, engine parts or wherever an exteme temperature coating is needed.

Hope  this helps.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Maggymay,

It's great to see that @Jewelleryrescue has already provided a solution to your issue. I just wanted to point out that we also have a range of high-temp paints, but it's important that you know how hot the area will get and choose appropriately. Our highest rated would be the Dulux 300g Duramax High Heat Black Enamel Spray Paint which is suitable up to 690 degrees.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Maggymay
Growing in Experience

The kiln fires to 1280C and the jacket would get to about 1000C.

Thanks for your help.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the update @Maggymay. It might be best to reach out to the kiln manufacturer given Bunnings doesn't offer products that are rated up to those very high temperatures.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Maggymay
Growing in Experience

I have spoken to a kiln technician and it is all under control, I should have done that first.

Thank you for your reply. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects