Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix townhouse garage wall leaking?

Bubzie
Just Starting Out

How to fix townhouse garage wall leaking?

Hello everyone. I recently purchased a home in July 2023. And the townhouse was built 2016. There has been some strong rain recently and I've noticed that the garage wall is leaking rain and getting damp. The town house is 3 storeys. The middle storey above the garage has a courtyard. It flooded last time so we got a plumber to clear out the drains. A few days later it rained and the walls are not leaking any more, but it's damp. Any idea who I should contact to get this fixed? I'm a first home owner, and I'm scared to my wits to know how much this is going to cost to fix. I still don't know where the leak is coming from. It's definitely not from pipes because it only does this when it rains. Please see the attached photos.

1000007099.jpg

1000007098.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Townhouse garage wall leaking.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Bubzie. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about resolving a leak.

It's great to hear that after clearing the drains, your walls are not leaking anymore. From your description, it sounds like the garage is below soil level. Ideally, it would be fantastic if they were waterproofed on the exterior, but that is often not done. I suspect there is some waterproofing; otherwise, your walls would leak with every rain event.

It appears that someone might have been doing some exploratory work, given the block has been chipped away at that leak on the right-hand side.

I'd suggest enlisting the services of a professional drainage expert to quote on the works to resolve the issue. Hopefully, it's just an inadequate amount of drainage in the courtyard, and that could be a relatively easy fix.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects