Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to increase the height of a garage?

gagan24991
Getting Established

How to increase the height of a garage?

Hello Team, 

I would like to ask if anyone could help me with ideas or a way to increase a garage height. Currently it’s sitting at 2m which I want to increase it to 3m. 

I’ve tried to quotations and got 27k for it which I think it’s way too expensive. So thought of doing it by myself. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to increase the height of a garage?

Hello @gagan24991 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about increasing the height of your garage.

Adding to your garage is possible, but there are many things that you'll need to take into consideration when adding more concrete. Such as weight capacity of the concrete, thickness of the slab steel support structure. 

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the garage? This will give our members a better idea of your project. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @gagan24991 

Are you talking about a carport or garage with walls? Will wait for some pics if you can before my brain starts to consider ideas :smile:

Dave

gagan24991
Getting Established

IMG_9766.jpeg

IMG_9771.jpeg

IMG_9768.jpeg

  

IMG_9772.jpeg

IMG_9769.jpeg

  

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @gagan24991 

Now that will be a largish project. For something like this I would suggest using a builder. And looking at it I had a thought of "Do you need council permission" as its over the standar 2.4m height of a garage.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @gagan24991 

Thank you for posting the photos of your garage. I'm in agreement with @Dave-1 and that it will be necessary to engage the services of a builder regarding your roof modification. Yes, you will need to consult the rules and regulations of your local council regarding the modification of your roofing structure as it will be going past standard height. 

It is possible to change just the roofing structure into an "A" frame style or a gabled style roof system that will essentially increase the height of your ceiling without adding more wall structure. I suggest asking your builder if this possible.   

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
gagan24991
Getting Established

Thanks @EricL @Dave-1  for your response.

I don’t have a builder yet for it - it was thinking of getting a handyman to help me and we both can do it by ourselves. But now I think it’s not going to be that straightforward. 

i will get in touch with council to check what are the rules around it. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects