Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a garden tap lock?

kymmieb82
Getting Established

How to install a garden tap lock?

I purchased this today as the tradies from the build next door keep walking all through my garden and using my garden tap however it doesn’t fit in the tap. I think the part that goes inside the tap is too big. Can I get a smaller one that will then work? Am I doing something wrong? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Garden Tap Lock

Hi @kymmieb82,

Does the brass section screw fully in without the white and black valve? 

There are two sizes of garden taps, 20mm and 15mm. 15mm taps are seldom seen these days, with the vast majority being 20mm. If the Kinetic 20mm Vandal Proof Tap Assembly With Key is too large, then I'd recommend trying the Kinetic 15mm Vandal Proof Tap Assembly With Key

I believe the two different-sized assemblies not only have different-sized valves but also spindle bodies (the copper part), so if the current copper part does screw in, something else might be going on here. Silly question, but I've seen it before, did you remove the old valve out of the tap before trying to install the new one?

Another thing to try is to take the tap key and turn the spindle anti-clockwise like you were turning the tap on. That will retract the spindle. What might be happening is that it's turned too far out, and it's bottoming out before you can't screw the spindle body in fully.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

This is the 15mm and there was nothing inside the tap that could be removed. 

Without the black and white thing, which I assume is necessary for it to work, if you put the other part in without it it does nothing except go around and around.

Hi @kymmieb82,

Thanks for clarifying that this is the 15mm version. When you say the other part goes "around and around" do you mean that it doesn't screw into the threads as it is too small? If this is the 15mm version, perhaps, you need the 20mm version. Your initial comment about the valve being too big might have thrown me off. With the 20mm version, the black and white valve will be even larger. There is no smaller valve than the one you already have.

If you post a picture of your tap, I should be able to tell what size it is, and we'd then know which version you'd need.

Mitchell

B10585C7-8C40-4368-AC15-9B4A92EF32BE.jpeg

92FA1614-4DA1-4F45-B473-58140BDF74DD.jpeg

57E7FF4B-FE82-4598-9D12-D18C181DA839.jpeg

EF8C5639-F8F3-4D53-9B08-840B95B04F3E.jpeg

Not sure I need the bigger one. As you can see in the photos it doesn’t fit in with the black and white thing in it. If I had a bigger one that wouldn’t fit either.

Hi @kymmieb82,

Thanks for the images; I see the confusion now. What you have is a spindle replacement. It replaces the tap handle on the top with one requiring a key. Flip it up the other way, and you'll see how it resembles the part directly below the tap handle. You need to unscrew the existing handle via the nut with an adjustable spanner before screwing the replacement spindle into the tap. The threads I was referring to are at the top inside the tap body, not the exposed threads where the hose attaches. I'm sorry for not being more specific. Make sure your mains water is turned off before removing the existing spindle.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

Oh okay then this is completely not what I wanted at all. 

I'm sorry to hear that, @kymmieb82.  Not what you wanted at all, as in, you don't want to replace the spindle? Once the vandal-proof spindle is attached, your tap will then operate as normal but will just need the key. This is the most common method of preventing people from using your tap.

Mitchell

I wanted something to put in the bottom to lock it which could then be taken on and off not something where I have to pull the tap apart to use it.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects