Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to insulate a garage tilt door?

lydp
Just Starting Out

How to insulate a garage tilt door?

I have an internal entry attached garage with a tilt door. Is there any way I can insulate the tilt door as the garage gets extremely hot in the afternoon and if the internal door is accidently left open the whole house gets super heated.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: roller door

Hello @lydp

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your roller door.

I can only imagine how hot it must get inside your house to be superheated by accidentally leaving the internal door open. There are a few insulating materials you can use to insulate your garage door.

Some of them are: 

These are all effective insulators, the tricky part is the actual installation of the insulation to your garage door. Would it be possible for you to post a full picture of the back of your garage door? We can then assess your garage door for mounting options. One other thing you can do is to install a Lemaar Black Adjustable Standard Door Closer to keep the internal door closed. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please don't hesitate to post them.

We look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to insulate a garage tilt door?

Hi @lydp,

Just checking in to see how you are progressing with your insulation project? I trust Eric's reply was helpful. Did you need any assistance uploading some photos so we can offer more specific help? Let us know if we can assist further - we're here to help.

Thanks,

Jason

OneMansFool
Building a Reputation

Hi @EricL + @Jason , I have just had a read through a few posts, and it sounds like I have an identical situation to this one.

I am in the process of converting my single car garage to home office space, and I have found I need to do something about garage door insulation.

Note I have no need to seal up any cracks or openings, etc. I am in Qld, and the sole issue is in the first half of the day the outside of the garage door gets direct (fairly extreme) sunlight, and it is like having a giant heating element down one end of the room.

I am hoping to line the inside with something to stop the heat from radiating? Would the Ametalin ThermalBreak sheeting that you listed do the trick? Here is the inside of my garage door:

C0896F32-24F2-4715-9F9E-6C82BAB181F3.jpeg

2B12984F-A663-4125-A051-7A86F7FF7C40.jpeg

Whoa, I have just seen the cost of that roll of Ametalin ThermalBreak. No I would rather avoid that.

Would I be able to use boards like this instead?
 https://www.bunnings.com.au/foilboard-10mm-x-2400mm-x-1200mm-standard-10-insulation_p0125954

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @OneMansFool

I have exactly the same problem in my garage and I built a standing shade sail cover to facilitate air circulation. It's very handy as I can see out and people can't see in. Unfortunately, the Foilboard 10mm x 2400mm x 1200mm Standard 10 Insulation is too fragile to be used in a garage door setting. I suggest having a look at the Bastion 1200 x 600 x 30mm XPS Multi-Use Insulation Foam Board. You should be able to cover the door with eight panels conservatively.

Your other option is to use Earthwool R5.0 210 x 430 x 1160mm 5.49m² Insulation Ceiling Batt - 11 Pack. You'll need to strap these panels to the garage door and cover it with Paint Partner 2.6 x 3.6m Plastic Backed Canvas Drop Sheet so you don't have to deal with fall out. But this one has the highest R rating in the bunch.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

OneMansFool
Building a Reputation

Hi @EricL , thanks that’s very useful.

Re: installing the Earthwool batts

This sounds like a good way to go.

The metal frame around the outside edges of the door are open, creating a natural home for the insulation bats:

3F9D1179-6F96-4741-ABA4-0DB7C8368A29.jpeg

And I assume the method is to cut the individual batts to the correct shape and size so as to butt up against the solid metal frames in the middle, ensuring the whole thing sits flush with the existing depth of the metal frame:

9410B50C-50EA-400D-9E1D-AB556B6794AE.jpeg

So once the batts have been cut to size and shape (marked in GREEN in the below diagram) the strapping (marked in RED) should run horizontally across the entire thing like so?

3DC7D026-740E-4084-900F-42094870050F.jpeg

How would I go about installing the strapping onto the existing metal frames?

And would I then put the cover over the top of the entire thing?

Thanks!

That appears to be @EricL's general plan @OneMansFool.

The strapping could be screwed to the top and bottom rails with self-tapping screws. You might like to screw it to the top rails and wrap it under the bottom rail. Have a helper outside the door pull it tight whilst you screw it off to the bottom rail. The cover would then go over the entire inside of the door.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Hi Eric and Team. I have two tilt doors the same as those pictured in this thread. This will make the use of the Ametalin economically viable. Just wondering how you suggest affixing it to the doors. 

Cheers

Steve

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @NarSte

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about Ametalin insulation.

Ametalin insulation is usually fixed onto the timber framing of a structure with staples. Once the insulation has been fixed in place the outdoor cover sheet is then placed on top of it. 

In order to mount the Ametalin insulation on your garage door, I suggest installing a light timber frame onto the steel frame of the garage door. This will allow you to staple the Ametalin insulation on the frame of the garage door itself. I recommend 42 x 19mm 1.8m DAR Pine Premium for framing and using Zenith 10G x 50mm Galvanised Countersunk Head Metal Screw to anchor it to the steel frame.

I've placed a sample image below to give you an idea of how the timber can be positioned in your garage door. The timber is very light and will not add a great deal of weight to the door. Please make sure to use the Ametalin tape to join the insulation panels together and to secure the edges to the steel frame. The best part is that because there is an air gap between the Ametalin and the surface of your garage door it will provide better performance.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects