Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to insulate a metal shed?

Bondy2
Getting Established

How to insulate a metal shed?

Hi, I'm about to insulate my backyard shed. Is it ok to place Earthwool batts between the studs and against the corrugated steel walls or will this cause condensation problems? Thanks, Clive. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Insulating a metal shed

Hello @Bondy2

I'm afraid condensation will occur on the shed's metal walls with or without the insulation. To give the Earthwool a bit of protection from the dampness, I suggest putting in some builder's plastic as a buffer between the steel wall and the insulation. In this way,  should the steel wall begin to form condensation, it will not seep into the insulation but will instead drip down the wall. There should always be a way for the condensation to escape, this will prevent water from pooling inside your wall. 

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Bondy2
Getting Established

I will do that. I have yet to fix the corrugated steel to the exterior, so that's an easy fix. Thanks for the quick reply.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated on your project @Bondy2, and please reach out again if you have further questions.

Mitchell

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to insulate a metal shed?

Hi @Bondy2 I agree with @EricL, you could use, I have used this product before on weatherboards, with the earthwool batts

JoeAzza_0-1665727901632.png

Bondy2
Getting Established

Thanks Joe, I will use that product (when it stops raining). Just one question...As high temperatures here in Wagga are a problem, should I put that Ametalin sheet with the silver side facing outwards?? Facing the steel corrugations. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Bondy2,

Just so you're aware, the Ametalin 1370mm x 30m VapourTech Brane VHP Vapour Permeable Wall Insulation is a permeable vapour barrier and does not include a silver face but does have a correct directional facing. You'll find "This side facing out" printed on the product.

The benefit to this product over a traditional silver-back sarking, is through the use of VapourTech®Brane® technology or potentially black magic, water vapour can travel through the insulation to the outside, but the water outside can't travel inside. This helps prevent the build-up of condensation within the structure as very high levels of water vapour are allowed to absorb and diffuse through the core non-woven structure. Silver-backed insulations are vapour impermeable and won't assist in dissipating any internal levels of trapped water vapour, which can become a huge problem inside a small insulated steel box.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Bondy2
Getting Established

Fixing silver sarking to wall studs.

I'm about to fix Silver sarking to the exterior of my shed timber frame (if rain stops). What is the best method of fixing? i.e staples, Clouts? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fixing silver sarking to wall studs.

Hi @Bondy2,

I'd suggest using Pryda Foil Fix - Strip of 10. They provide a larger surface area than clouts or staples to prevent tearing. 

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects