Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to insulate a wood shed roof?

melissathomp89
Just Starting Out

How to insulate a wood shed roof?

Is there a way to insulate well post construction? I've decided to make the shed a bit more of a relaxation area and would like it to be tolerable in the heat! Any advice would be marvelousIMG20220213093549.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Insulating wood shed roof

Hello @melissathomp89

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about insulating your shed.

You've done an excellent job of putting in the EasycraftVJ panels. Unfortunately, the ideal time to put the insulation in was before putting the panels up. Is there still a chance to take them down? If the walls were screwed in then the damage won't be too severe, however, if it's been nailed in then leave the panels where they are.

The majority of the heat will actually be coming from the roof at noon. From there it will continue heating up until 3:00 p.m. and will only start to cool down at 4:00 p.m. in the afternoon. I suggest using Ametalin Roof and Wall Thermal Break, it's ideal for steel structures and provides acoustic dampening as well.

The same insulation can also be used on your wall. In this instance, if you install the Ametalin on the outside wall of your shed you'll need to put another material over it so that it does not deteriorate. I suggest using James Hardie 2400 x 1200 x 4.5mm 2.88m² HardieFlex™ Cladding on the two walls that will be hit by full sun.

My only other suggestion is to consider putting in an exhaust fan to circulate the air inside the shed.

Let me tag our experienced members @Brad, @Remarka6le, and @Noyade for other recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects