Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to insulate and weather-proof an outdoor shed?

kessle
Finding My Feet

How to insulate and weather-proof an outdoor shed?

we are wanting to turn our outdoor shed into a studio space/bedroom. It’s old but sturdy with a concrete slab base. The main issue we have is that it’s black, and being in Perth it can get pretty hot. What would you recommend to give it the best shot at staying cooler in winter?

IMG_7969.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: insulating/weather priofing outdoor shed conversion

Hi @kessle,

It's a tough one because like you said, being black, the shed will absorb a lot of heat. I would suggest that a combination of ventilation and insulation will offer some help in keeping the shed cool in those hotter months.

Is it possible to get some photos of the inside of the shed? This will help determine the best way to insulate the shed and add some ventilation. 

Once I've seen what we're working with, I'll be happy to offer more assistance.

Jacob

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to insulate and weather-proof an outdoor shed?

Hi @kessle,

I wanted to join the discussion to ensure you're informed that contacting your local council is essential for understanding the requirements of your project. Converting a shed into a habitable space involves adhering to several stringent regulations. It's advisable to consult them before starting your project to avoid complications with construction codes down the line.

You might also like to check out this helpful guide: How to install a shed floor.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects