Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to insulate existing garage roof?

Marcia_L
Finding My Feet

How to insulate existing garage roof?

Hi Everyone!

Was wondering if anyone could please provide some advice on how best to insulate our existing garage?

We are renting at the moment and I'd like to convert our garage into my pottery studio. There's no insulation at the moment and it gets really cold in Winter and super hot in Summer.

The walls look to be blockwork but I'd like to try and avoid having to insulate these.

I think the main issue is the metal roof. There are timber joists and I've attached some photos for reference.

Would the roller door also be a problem with insulation?

The floor is concrete as well so I thought perhaps it could do with some vinyl flooring to help with the cold concrete.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the most cost effective option that would be the least invasive so that we can potentially take it away whenever we end our lease and make good (if our landlord makes us)?

Hope to hear your ideas soon!

Thank you.

Marcia.

IMG_5062.jpg

IMG_5063.jpg

IMG_5061.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to insulate existing garage roof?

Hello @Marcia_L 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about how to insulate your garage roof. 

I suggest using Earthwool Ceiling Insulation to go between the timber joists of your ceiling. But in order to keep the insulation up there, you'll need to put in some timber battens or strapping across the joist. Generally, once you have the straps or battens attached, you'll need to cut the insulation to the correct size and install it between the joists.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

The flooring technique used is applicable to your ceiling installation. Just keep in mind to keep the distance between the straps close to prevent the insulation from sagging.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your ceiling insulated.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@Marcia_L for strapping you have a couple of options, you can go a nylon packing strapping which you may require to install more runners due to the sag and you will need some mud guard washers with the screws for fixings or you can go a gal steel type strapping which is more rigid. Both are below.

Screenshot_20220718-203703_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220718-203931_Bunnings Product Finder.jpg

  

Thank you, Eric! Will watch those videos but this is already very helpful!

Thank you! That’s great to know what the products are. Will check them out!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Please keep us updated with your progress @Marcia_L and let us know if you need anything further. We look forward to see what you can achieve. 

You might also like to search for other garage and shed insulation projects here on Workshop to get further ideas.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects