Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to re-attach garage ceiling to wood beams?

hammer_user13
Just Starting Out

How to re-attach garage ceiling to wood beams?

Hi all, this is my first post.

The ceiling boards of my garage have started to fall down. They were originally nailed to wood beams above but the nail holes have worn through over time. 

What would be the most effective way to re-attach them? 

I thought I could use a screw driver and screws straight through the board into the wood, but I wasn't able to get it to pierce the board above my head. 

Would a staple gun work? I don't have any experience but I think the staple may not bind to the wood effectively?

The garage was built in the early 1980s.

Wooden beams aboveWooden beams aboveWider view of falling boards. Currently held up by the garage door.Wider view of falling boards. Currently held up by the garage door.Close-up of the boardClose-up of the board

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to re-attach garage ceiling to wood beams?

Hello @hammer_user13

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your garage ceiling panels.

Before you make any more attempts to secure your ceiling panels, I suggest having it tested for asbestos. Houses from the late 70s to the early 80s were constructed with materials containing asbestos. Your ceiling panels might have asbestos in them.

Generally, I recommend using plasterboard screws when attaching ceiling panels to timber framing. But before you make any attempt to repair it, please have it tested. Once you are sure that it is not asbestos you can then proceed with the repairs.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects