Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove garage carpet and install self-adhesive vinyl flooring?

AnirbanM
Just Starting Out

How to remove garage carpet and install self-adhesive vinyl flooring?

We would like to convert our garage into a living room by replacing the existing garage carpet with self-adhesive vinyl flooring, adding some extra ceiling lights and curtains/partition wall to hide the laundry area. Is it possible to do that by our own, any suggestions are highly appreciated.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove garage carpet and install self-adhesive vinyl flooring?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @AnirbanM. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about turning a garage into a room.

Anything is possible, depending on your skill level and determination to complete the project. Heck, you could build a whole house, given time and an ability to learn new skills. 

Pulling the carpet up and sticking down vinyl tiles takes no great amount of skill, so I think you'll be fine there. I would encourage you to consider Hybrid Vinyl Planks instead of the self-adhesive options, as they're a much higher quality of flooring. 

Installing new curtains is also a D.I.Y.-friendly project, and we're here to assist with that. However, the ceiling lights will need to be left to the professionals. Creating a partition wall might be the only part of the project where a decent amount of skill is involved. Take a look at this step-by-step guide and see if that's something you could handle: How to build a stud wall.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to remove garage carpet and install self-adhesive vinyl flooring?

Hi @AnirbanM,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. 

I thought you might get some inspiration by seeing what Workshop member @richmac achieved with their garage conversion into two bedrooms. They shared a very comprehensive account of their efforts. At the bottom of the project you'll also find links to other garage conversion projects shared by members.

Hope that helps.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects